A cemetery is a large area of land, dedicated to the burial of the dead whether they are relatives or not.
The most famous types of cemeteries are either open fenced cemeteries that don’t contain any buildings, or ones that are closed and roofed.
The cemeteries vary in size, form and architecture from a country to another, and from a culture to another.
In the Old Town in Jerusalem, there are two cemeteries: Al-Sahira and Al-Ikhshidieen cemeteries.
-It is evident from that inscription that this graveyard contains the grave of Muhammad Ibn Taghaj al-Ekhshid, the founder of the state in Egypt. Muhammad bin Taghaj was born in Baghdad in 268 AH and in 319 AH and his father the Abbasid Khalipha Damascus and then Egypt in 321 AH.
He had a great power over Egypt, the Levant, and Al-Hijaz. He was known in the Arab countries. He died in Damascus in 334 AH.
His body was transferred to Jerusalem and buried there on his will.
It is also evident from the stone tablet that the son of Al-Ekhsheed Anjurin Muhammad Abu Al-Qasim, who took power from his father in 335 AH, appointed Kafur as his guardian and in 349 AH.
He died in Anjur al-Ekhshidi in Egypt and buried in Jerusalem next to his father based on his will.
-In this cemetery is also the grave of Ali al-Ikhshid, brother of Anjour who took power after his brother. Ali al-Akhshidi died in 355 AH.
He taken to Jerusalem and buried in his family cemetery.
Kamel Asali noted in his book “Our ancestors in the Three Houses of Jerusalem” quoting the book “Governors and Judges’ Book” to Abu Bakr al-Kindi in the biography of Abi Hassan Ali bin al-Ekhshid that he died for eleven nights in Muharram in AH 355 AH.
He was twenty-eight years old, and was carried to Jerusalem and buried with his father Muhammad ibn Taghg and his late brother Abu al-Qasim Anjour ibn Muhammad.
At Alasbat gate, this is Al Ekhshidiin in Jerusalem until the early eighties of the last century, since then buried two of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades and two: Martyr Saleh Mohammed Yamani and martyr Jihad Ibrahim Badr, on Monday, 11 April 1982. Also, the cemetery contains the grave of the late Anwar Zaki Nusseibeh Khazraji, former governor of Jerusalem (1913-1986) and the grave of the Sheikh Saad Eddin scientific Mufti of Jerusalem and the Holy Land (1911-1993) buried the same day.
He was buried with the late Anwar Abdul Hai al-Khatib al-Tamimi former governor of Jerusalem, whom born in the city of Hebron in 1917, and was the last of the buried in the cemetery of the Sheikh Hassan Fatin Tahbob the first Palestinian Minister of Awqaf, buried on 27 April 1998, may Allah have mercy on them all.
The Cemetery of Al-Ekhshidien (Al turba Ekhshidia) was known for hundreds of years in the city of Jerusalem, maintained by Muslims within their waqf, as mentioned previously.
The Islamic Waqf Department has placed a stone plaque indicating the existence of the martyrs in the holy city.
Also placed two paintings next to it in the first plate is a list of the martyrs of the al-Aqsa massacre, which took place in Al-Aqsa Square on October 8, 1990, the second plaque inscribed with the names of the martyrs of the second Al-Aqsa massacre, which took place inside al-Aqsa on September 27, 1996.