– A corner is a place built to house and accommodate a group of people, whether religious or foreigners. 12 corners have been built in the Old Town, each built for specific reasons. – Al- Naqshbandi Corner was built to accommodate foreigners and feed the poor, while the Indians’ Corner was built for worship. Some other corners are Al-Khanki, Al- Saadia, and the Crimea corners.
The Indian corner is located in the Old Town of Jerusalem, near the gate of the watch.
Established in the Mameluke period 850 years ago.
Reason of the name:
Called the corner Indian or Alfredic, after the Indian Sufi Baba Farid Shukrkang.
-The corner is a huge architectural complex consists of two floors, each floor contains a gallery and a large number of upper and lower rooms and open courtyard and a mosque, in addition to the buildings that I joined.
Corner and Indian origin:
-The story began when the Indian Sufi scholar Baba Farid Shukrang introduced the city of Jerusalem about 800 years ago and spent forty days in an underground stone room next to a mosque near Bab al-Sahera, since then his room has become a shrine for Indian pilgrims on their way out of the pilgrimage.
-The Indians interested in expanding the place and buying properties adjacent to the Sufi room, reaching a combined area of seven denims within the boundaries of the Islamic quarter in the Old Town, Bab al-Zahra, and so called the corner Indian or Alfredic, after the Sufi Baba Farid Shukrang.
The importance of corner:
-The Indian corner is gaining importance because it is a place frequented by Indian ambassadors and ministers for centuries, in which they meet Palestinian leaders, but the most serious of these days is the ongoing attempt to Judaize Israel.
Angle and risks to which:
-The corner destroyed in large parts of them because of the 1967 war, and the distribution of the rest of them between the offices of UNRWA and the school of Riad al-Aqsa and a house for housing.
-This angle is witnessing attempts to Judaization by the occupation, as these attempts began to seize the houses of Arab Jerusalemites around it, and attempts to seize are continuing, in addition to that has been the establishment of a military observation point of the Zionist occupation army on its wall from the south-west.
Corner Affairs Care:
-The Ansari family of Indian origin received the responsibility of sponsoring the corner nine decades ago, according to Sheikh Mohammed Munir al-Ansari, the sheikh of the sheikhs responsible for his care since 1924.
-Al-Ansari added that the head of the Supreme Islamic Council, Amin al-Husseini, sent a delegation from Jerusalem to India, carrying a letter asking the Indian government to send a person to take care of the corner and manage its affairs.
-His father, Sheikh Nazer Hassan al-Ansari, who was from Sarnurbup in India’s Yobe state, chosen to take care of the corner.
Located in Al-Masharqa quarter, known as Harat Al-Saadiya.
770 AH / 1368 AD.
Reason of the name:
Named after Abizaid Tayfur Al Bastami.
Sheikh Abdullah bin Khalil bin Ali al - Assad al - Bustami.
-This corner made up of a building with a simple northern entrance, it is slightly below the ground of the public street, it surrounded by two rectangular stone blocks on either side, the entrance leads to an open courtyard surrounded by a number of rooms, and the shrine room.
Description of the mosque corner:
- Located on the northern side of the open square, a rectangular mosque extends from north to south and leads to a simple entrance.
- Covered by a semi-barrel vault.
- It opened in the middle of the southern wall, a simple niche, a hollow niche in the southern wall of it.
Description of the Shrine Room:
-The chamber of the mausoleum is located in the eastern corner of the open courtyard and the eastern part of the prayer house, it reached from inside the prayer house by a small entrance.
-It is a rectangular room extending from east to west, covered by a semi-barrel vault, and opened a simple niche in its southern wall.
- In the eastern corner is a rectangular, high-rise mausoleum that covered with fabric, like most of the tombs in Jerusalem.
-The corner allocated to the poor followers of Sheikh Abdullah and made her Awqaf, and buried in the monsters of Bustami in the cemetery of Mamala after his death in 1391.
-This corner has waqf, and it stood on it and its residents of the poor in Jerusalem, and it noted that there is another corner called by this name, located in the courtyard of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, east of the rock bowl supervising.
-It mentioned by Mujir al-Din al-Hanbali that “the poor had met the Bastamiyya to mention Allaah”, it closed the gate, in his era.
Located in the Saadiya quarter near the head of a winding and gradual road, called Oqaba Alqasila at Oqaba, which carried the name of Sheikh Saad.
Reason of the name:
Named this for its occurrence in the Saadiya quarter.
- Dr. Mohamed Ghosheh was alone in revealing and rooting it. According to his study, the Sheikh attributed to corner is a good guardian, did not mention the sources except for the Turkish traveler Oleya Chalabi, who came to Jerusalem following the liberation of Nasser Saladin from the French occupation in 583 AH / 1187).
- He was a follower of Sheikh Saad al-Din al-Jabbawi the elder; the founder of the Saadiyya-Jabbawiyya method, which he took from Abi Madin al-Ghuhaa, that he imprisoned by the waqf and died and buried there. However, the signs were not available to determine whether Sheikh Saad founded this corner or not.
- According to the historian Mughir al-Din al-Hanbali, the corner known in the 10th / 11th century AD, but the legitimate arguments rarely deal with its affairs. This may be explained by the presence of more than one tomb in the city of Jerusalem named after Sheikh Saad, which led to confusion, and perhaps the method of Sufism that have been associated with them faded with the death of the owner or founder.
- Among the rare documentary references, that Dr. Ghosheh monitored around the Saadiya corner its ruin after the powerful earthquake that hit Jerusalem in 953 AH / 1546 AD.
- Reconstruction of Abd al-Karim Khalifa ibn al-Sheikh Hussein al-Khaluti, but it abandoned after almost three centuries, according to a legitimate argument from the year (1249 AH / 1833 AD), it destroyed, and there is no reward for the waqf, and there is no one to rent it, and it became a place for thieves and dogs.
- Akel Al-Turgeman family of the Jerusalem take care of its waqf, known him Hakoura known Al Madbgha, so the judge decided to replace the Al-Hakoura and the house destroyed for the reconstruction of the corner, there is only one room left of this building or the effects of the corner, which is inhabited by one of the Jerusalemite families today.
- Current use: House of residence.
It is located on the winding road of Al-Saraya to the west of the Marzaban line (Al-Qurami neighborhood) and a few meters from the corner of Mohammed Al-Qarami.
Reason of the name:
It was named after Sheikh Badr al-Din Ahmed bin Ali Al Muthabit Al-Ansari al-Maqdisi al-Maliki, known as Ibn Al Muthabit (813-730 AH / 1410- 1329 AD) and buried in it.
- This corner architecturally composed of an open courtyard surrounded by a number of rooms of different sizes, and the south-eastern section includes the tomb of Sheikh Ahmed Almuthabat, where he descends on the thresholds, it is a medium-sized, simple-built room covered by a low, cross-vaulted ceiling, in the southern wall, a simple mihrab with a wall niche.
- visited the traveler Alsofi Abdul Ghani Nabulsi in a year
(1101 AH / 1689 AD) and mentioned in his famous journey.
In Bab Al-Amoud market, specifically to the left of the inside of this section, and on the first road heading to Harat Al Saadia.
(781 AH / AD 1379) or shortly before them.
Reason of the name:
Named after its builder Badr Eddin Lulu.
Made waqf by Prince Badr al-Din Lulu ancient King Ashraf Shaaban bin Hussein (778-764 AH / 1362 - 1376 AD).
- Today there is only a mosque and a school.
Located to the north of Bab al-Gwanma, a few meters away, in the road known as the Via Dolorosa (Alalam) (Mujahideen) across the monastery of Zion.
Some believe that it built for the first time in the eighth century AH / 14 AD, based on built by the founder of the Naqshbandi method in this century; Sheikh Mohammed Bahaa al-Din Naqshband al-Bukhari, there is no text dating from its inception. Some legitimate arguments show that they were rebuilt in the year (1035 AH / 1625) by Osman Bak al-Bukhari, known as the Sufi, where he added a number of rooms.
Reason of the name:
Named after Mohammed Bahaa al-Din Naqshband Bukhari.
- It consists of an open narrow corridor running north to south, with rooms on both sides of the eastern and western sides, as well as a prayer house to the right of the interior directly from the entrance to the north corner, a simple niche in the middle of the southern wall.
-This corner dedicated to accommodating strangers and feeding the poor, especially Muslims of Bukhari, Java and Turkmenistan.
-Today, its mosque is still full of remembrance of God and the five prayers, while the other parts of its rooms, some of which used as a residence, and the other a clinic.
-The Naqshbandi angle considered one of the features of Ottoman Jerusalem, it also referred to as the Azbekiyya or the Bukhari angle, compared to those who built it, it mentioned by many historians of Jerusalem and believed to build in the late Mameluke or early Ottoman periods.
- It is located outside the Al-Aqsa Mosque but inside the walls of the Old Town, this corner contains a small mosque located on the road of Bab Hatta.
- It established in order to shelter the visitors and feed the poor especially those from Central Asia, Muslims of India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Turkey, the Caucasus and other Islamic countries, Sheikh Othman Beak Al-Bukhari, known as the Sufi, expanded the corner in 1731, and later Sheikh Rashid Al-Bukhari took the corner, his son, Sheikh Ya’qub al-Bukhari, died in 1956. The Sheikh then moved to his son, Sheikh Musa bin Ya’qub al-Bukhari, and currently based on Sheikh Abdul Aziz Musa Bukhari after taking the allegiance of Sheikh Mohammed Nazem al-Haqqani in Cyprus.
The origin of Al-Bukhari family
-Al-Bukhari family came from Uzbekistan in 1616, with the aim of representing their countries exactly like the embassies now, and publishing part of their culture and knowledge on the Naqshbandi Sufi way from the Uzbek word.
-In the year (1144 AH / 1731), supervised by Sheikh Hassan al-Uzbek, who added a number of other rooms And became known as al-Azbekiya relative to it.
Objective of the corner:
-It was the attempt of the corner sheikhs to establish the mystical rules, because the city of Jerusalem is a religious tourist and the corner in general, apart from being schools, are also guesthouses for the sons of her country or others.
-The Nukhisbandi corner hosted for 400 years on Thursdays every week the people of Jerusalem and visitors to the city on tables Free, but said after the war of setback because of the occupation first.
Also because of the Islamic Waqf endowment as a general charity waqf, which limited the benefit of rents of houses in favor of the corner, the number of Uzbek, Turkish and Afghan visitors to Palestine annually before 1967 ranged from 30-80 visitors annually.
In Harat Al-Ghawanamah, a few meters from the corner of Naqshbandi and Bab Al-Gwanma.
1043 AH / 1633 AD.
Reason of the name:
-The angle of Qadiriyah attributed to Sheikh Abdul Qader Jilani; the founder of the Sufi method Qadiriyah in the Islamic world.
-The reason for this designation sometimes referred to as the "Afghan angle" is due to the establishment of a group of Afghans in Jerusalem in the past decades, some of which recently taken over.
Mohammed Pasha Governor of Jerusalem.
-The corner of Qadiriyah contains two external facades: a western facade and a southern one, in a description of the corner (15 Muharram 1043 AH / July 21, 1633), it contains a large rectangular mosque with several capacities in its sides, Large house, with oven and two openings on corner dish.
- This corner includes a small building designed to wash the dresses of the poor neighbors, also contains 11 rooms in the western and Qibli areas, in the bowel corner of a large square box with the drawing of agriculture and three tanks for the collection of winters.
-This corner accessed through a colonnaded entrance, topped by a foundation inscription, on either side of which is a stone seat, this entrance leads to an open courtyard and a converted to number of rooms.
-It has a simple mosque, located to the right of the interior to the corner, consists of a prayer house, and has a niche in its southern facade; the movement’s followers usually adorn this mosque during their celebrations.
-Al Qadiriya is one of the few buildings in Jerusalem that preserved its original layout and architecture without any major change, it continues its original function to this day, and it endowed with a generous number of employees, the city and its arrivals.
The ninth century AH / fifteenth century AD.
-Accessed through an entrance that contains both sides of the seat, ends with a three-door Mameluke-style contract, which is the remainder of the original building, this entrance leads to an open courtyard with a number of rooms on its edges.
-The corner also known as Aqabat Alzaheria, and some legitimate arguments referred to its outcrops in 939 AH / 1532 CE.
-In addition, the land leased in (964 AH / 1556 AD) with a long lease period of 48 years with 23.5 gold coins.
The use of the former and current: the corner allocated to house the poor and the worshipers, some of its rooms were demolished due to the earthquake of 1927, and its function changed today to a residential house known as Dar al-Bayraq Dar.
Located near the entrance of the northern Alatm gate, specifically behind and west of the school of Mua’damia, the
north of the path of the Mujahideen.
745 AH / 1344 AD .
Reason of the name:
Named after Sheikh Kamal al-Din al-Muhamazi died in the year (747 AH / 1346 AD)
Sultan Malik Saleh bin Ismail bin Nasser bin Mohammed bin Qalawun.
- It reached through a simple southern entrance, with a three-lobed contract, on each side of which is a stone seat known as an architect, the entrance leads to rectangular ridges that lead to an open courtyard through the thresholds on its northern side, and in the square a number of rooms, cellars, and other accessories.
- The corner continued to function until a later period of the Ottoman era, as some legitimate arguments that deal with some of the functions and allocations and endowments and distribution before being destruction and destroyed, then reconstructed in accordance with the Ottoman architecture.
-This corner rebuilt in the Ottoman era, this corner has a vault in the records of the Islamic court in Jerusalem, and the village of Beit Liqya waqf on it in 745 AH.
-Current use: Its function changed from a corner to waqf for the Ga’ouni family, and a residence for a group of the famous Dweik family of Jerusalem.
Located in the Haidarah quarter to the north of Al-Sharaf neighborhood, head of the Uncle Sons neighborhood near the of Al-Harafish stairs
(674 AH / 1275 AD)
Reason of the name:
It named after Sheikh Mohammed Al-Haidari, who is likely to belong to Bani Ghanem.
-This corner consisted of an open bowel surrounded by a number of rooms.
- In one of the rooms is the grave of Sheikh Haider, before removed by what known as the development of the Jewish Quarter, and no trace remains.
Located near the bath of Aladdin Albasir sailors near the school and the Al-Laliyah School Badriya, across the soil of Sheikh Ahmed stabilizer, specifically to the southeast of them.
Reason of the name:
Named after its resident Sheikh Shams al-Din Abi Abdullah Mohammed bin Ahmed bin Othman al-Turkmani origin, Damascene-born, Shafi'i doctrine, and Maqdisi death, known as al-Qurami (720 AH / 1320 AD-788 AH / 1387-1386 AD), who many followers and devotees in Jerusalem before his death and burial in the corner.
-Reached through a beautiful Mameluke entrance shape, alternating white and red stones in the local construction cymbals, and ends in a pointed stone contract.
-It surrounded by a stone seat on either side of which known as a stone, it includes a prayer house that deal with in mosques.
-The room of the mausoleum is located behind the prayer house on the north side, specifically to the left of the inside to the corner of its western entrance, which is closer to the square in shape, covered by a vaulted ceiling in the way of the cross vaults.
-While the mausoleum descends on its approach from the southern facade, and consists of a large wooden building, rectangular from west to east, the grave of Sheikh al-Qurami, inside an area that descends on it on a few thresholds.
-Nasir al-Din Muhammad ibn ‘Ala’ al-Din Shah al-Jaili, and one-third of it, stood on al-Qurami and his descendants.
- Devoted to Sufism behavior and science and played its role to the fullest, and engaged her Sheikh talking, and dropped by men and women in the Ottoman era, this corner is still full of worshipers attending to its mosque.
Located at the top of the locality of Aljawa’na to the east of the Yacoubian Mosque and to the south of Dar Qandil.
- Mentioned by the historian of Jerusalem, Mujir al-Din al-Hanbali, identified its location and attributes to Sheikh Ibrahim al-Azraq.
Describing it as foot, and mentioned that it has mass graves, including the tomb of Sheikh Ishaq bin Sheikh Ibrahim, who died in the year (780 AH / 1378 AD), and said: I saw in the documents related to it known as Sarai corner.
The American President, Donald Trump, has announced his administration’s official recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Also, he moved the American Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, in a move that was preceded by Arab, Islamic, and international criticism and condemnation.