Gates

In the wall of the Old Town many gates; up to 13 gates, including five gates shared with Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Some of the famous gates of the Old Town are Bab Ala’moud, Bab Al-Sahirah, Bab Al-Khalil, and Bab Al-Magharibah.

  • Pick a point from the map
  • Bab Al-Mufrad (Single gate) (Bab Al-Ain)

    Landmark Location: It is a closed southern entrance in the southeastern part of the city wall and Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: East-South the Dome of the Rock.

    Reason of the name:
    Named Bab Al-Ain (the eye gate) because it leads to the eye of Silwan.

    Details of the shape:
    A simple small gate without decorations leading to the Marwani Prayer Hall, covered inside a wooden sanctuary after the restoration of the Marwani Prayer Hall in 1417-1996, where it shows only part of the curve of the contract.

    The gate in history:
    *It seems that the gate opened in the Abbasid or Fatimid period.

    *Used by the Knights Templar during the Crusader occupation of the introduction of their fortress to the Marwani Prayer Hall, which they converted to Stable and called it (Suleiman stables).

  • Bab Alasbat (Bab Al-Osoud)

    Landmark History:
    Year 945 e

    Reason of the name:
    Named after the twelve Israelite Asbat.

    Builder Name: Sultan Suleiman

    It’s Location in Respect of the Old Town

    Located in the eastern wall of the Old City Wall, reaches it via a road leading up from Wadi Qadron (Wadi Jahannm “Valley of Hell”), this road separates two Islamic tombs, the southern one known as the Bab al-Rahma cemetery and the northern one in the name of the Yusufiya cemetery.

    Details of the shape:
    Alasbat gate is the only gate opened in the eastern wall of the Old Town of Jerusalem since its foundation until today.

    Is the gate of the old gates of the Old Town and has an entrance destroyed inside it.

    Interfaces of the gate:
    The gate of Alasbat has three facades: an oriental one that meets the interior of the Old Town, one west and another south dominated by simplicity.

    The eastern facade is a massive stone and the lower section of this facade rises to 11 course built of large untidy stones.

    :Additional Information about the landmark
    In the center of this facade is an entrance topped by a thirteen-sided stone roof, a direct rectangular stone plaque, placed above the contract, the original bears a writing, but it appears to be decorative here, as is the case with a number of these paintings in the wall and some Ottoman monuments Other.

    :An Overview of the Landmark

    On both sides (north and south), the decoration is surrounded by an ornamental decoration of the stone circles (disk), topped with a stone ornamentation of hollow geometrical decoration engraved with shallow drilling.

    *This portal crowned with a large tapered contract, the entrance contract surrounded by a prominent inscription for four lions, a pair on each side with a face or an interview.

    The inscription of the lions is expressive and has a special power and agility, especially in the facial expressions, toes and hands, as well as in the tail of every lions, suffers from some erosion, especially the lions in the far north.

    It noted that five operators (arrow openings) opened at the front of the eastern Alasbat gate; the aim of these operators was to throw darts and gunpowder, and to allow the opportunity to outside lookout.

    Alasbat gate Planning:

    Muslims in the planning of Alasbat gate to be broken with the square, in order to obstruct and detect the attackers if they managed to break into the main gate of wall.

    Today, after removing the wall across the entrance, it is possible to walk in a straight line, which was mostly to facilitate the passage of cars, probably during the British Mandate, scatters arranged between the roof of the gate and its center, allowing the dumping of materials that obstruct the intrusion and damage the trapped persons.

    *The British Mandate demolished the front of the interior gate to facilitate the passage of vehicles and military vehicles into the town.

    It’s considered one of the most active gates, since it’s near Al-Asbat Gate of Al-Aqsa Mosque, as buses enter from it into the town and there is a yard in front of the parking of buses called Al-Ghazali Square.

    There is a station and a center for the occupation police to control who enters the Aqsa and the Old Town “The Jordan Valley” , St. Maryam Gate and Bab El-Osoud (The lion gate), in comparison to the presence of 4 lionstwo in the north and two in the south – in the gate.

    The presence of myths and legends about the lions in this place, which is incorrect.

    In fact, the lions are the “Logo” of the Mameluke Sultan Baybars, and this logo engraved on the property of al-Zaher Baybars from the buildings, coins, and tools, as it was in the era Mamelukes.

  • Bab Al-Jana’iz (Funeral Gate)

    Landmark Location: Located 15.8 meters south of Bab al-Rahma (located in the east).

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: At the northern eastern corner.

    Landmark History:It appears from the shape of the stones that it was built after the Umayyads and before the Fatimids.

    Reason of the name:This gate used to remove the funerals from Al Aqsa Mosque to the Al-Rahma cemetery adjacent to the eastern wall of Al-Aqsa Mosque, and probably closed by order of Sultan Salah al-Din after the liberation of Jerusalem in 583 AH - 1187 m, to protect the mosque and the city from any possible invasion.

    Details of the shape

    A simple small gate shape height of 2.35 m and a width of 1.7 m.

    Additional Information about the landmark

    The historian Majir al-Din Says: (a nice closed gate, which is across the stairs of the rock known as Badr al-Buraq.

    It said that this gate is the gate of the Buraq, from which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered at the night of Isra’a, and it called the gate of funerals to get out of it in ancient times.

    This gate seen from the cemetery of Bab al-Rahma and not be seen from inside the wall of Al-Aqsa Mosque where it buried in the dirt in order to raise the level of the eastern part of the mosque (now cultivated olive).

    *Note: There is no validity to the funeral gate to the right of the outside of Alasbat gate (behind the iron reservoirs), but that closed arc, since the wall behind it was built with huge old stones that have no gate impact, and no one has ever said so.

  • Bab Al-Tawba and Al-Rahma

    Landmark Location: Located 200 meters south of the Asbat Gate in the eastern wall of the Al-Aqsa Mosque present as a part of the eastern wall of the old town.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: East the Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:Said during the reign of Abdul Malik bin Marwan.

    Reason of the name:On the authority of Abu al-Awwam, the muezzin of Bayt al-Maqdis said: I heard Abdullah bin Amr ibn al-Aas say: It is the wall, which God mentioned in the Qur'an. “The day of hypocrites and opponents say to those who believe see us quoted from your light is said to back behind you and seek light and strike them with a fence to the gate of the inner mercy and apparent punishment before him”. The eastern wall inside the mosque and the phenomenon of the Valley of Hell.

    Builder Name: It said during the reign of Abdul Malik bin Marwan.

    Located on 200 meters south of the Alasbat gate, in the eastern wall of Al-Aqsa Mosque, represent part of the eastern wall of the Old Town.

    One of the oldest gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque where it dates back to the Umayyad period in terms of its architectural and artistic elements.

    *Great closed gate.

    *The height of 11.5 m.

    *Go down to it by a long way from inside the Aqsa.

    *The gate consists of two gates: Rahma to the south and Tawba to the north.

    *A double gate topped by two archways, leading to a hall covered with arches based on arches above huge Corinthian columns.

    *The tomb named on both sides of the gate from the outside in the name of the cemetery of Rahma (including the graves of the Sahabi Shaddad bin Aws and Obada Bin Al-samet, may Allah be pleased with them).

    The Christians believe about the gate:

    They believe that Jesus entered the gate on Easter, and that Heraclius entered Jerusalem after his victory over the Persians, they called him the Golden Gate, a false translation of his name in Greek, which means the beautiful gate.

    The Gate through the Ages:

     

    The Crusader Occupation:

    The gate was opened twice only on the anniversary of the entry of Jesus (the Feast of the Palm), and the entry of Hercules into the city (Feast of the Cross-).

    Early Islamic Period:

    The building is located inside the gate on the side of Al-Aqsa Mosque used as a hall of prayer, du’aa.

    According to the historian Mujir al-Din al-Hanbali, that Imam al-Ghazali (may Allah have mercy on him) in 1948, studied in Al-Aqsa mosque and in his nook above Al Rahma gate, wrote part of his valuable book (revival of the sciences of religion).

    The modern era:

    The Committee of Islamic Heritage has been constructed the gate and floor, take it the headquarters of its advocacy activities inside Al-Aqsa Mosque since 1992, the occupation authorities came to power in 2003.

    The Zionist claim about the gate:

    They claim that Bab Rahma and Altawba is a Jewish heritage, and that it considered one of the gates of the alleged temple.

    In the 1967 war, the Zionist war minister (Moshe Dayan) attempted to open the gate but failed.

    An attempt made to break into it, which thwarted in 2002 when a Zionist tried to open a grave adjacent to the gate from the outside, and dug a tunnel under it that runs into Al Aqsa Mosque.

    When will the gate close? And why?

    First Opinion:

    The closure of the gate by Sultan Salah al-ddin al-Ayyubi after the liberation of Jerusalem on 27-7-583 / 2-10-1187 in order to protect the city and the mosque from any possible invasion.

    Perhaps Salah al-Din’s goal is economic rather than military, by pushing the traveler to Al-Aqsa Mosque to enter the gates of the city leading to the markets, so exchange and benefit instead of direct entry to the mosque after visiting the graves of companions buried near the gate.

    Second opinion:

    Historians attribute the closure of the Ottoman gate because of the myth among the people at that time that the Franks would return to occupy the city of Jerusalem through this gate.

    Third opinion:

    The old gate closed and it was in two stages.

    *In the early Islamic period (Abbasid or Fatimid), the armored wooden gates were permanently closed and turned inside the gate into a prayer hall (for the religious purpose of embodying the aforementioned verse of Surat Hadid);

    Where the gate covered with iron sheets from outside, a metaphor for darkness, while the interior covered with shiny brass plates, a metaphor for light.

    It called the light, as mentioned by the Jerusalemite historian (379 AH-990M).

    Closed the gate to prevent the Valley of Hell outside the gate and Al-Aqsa Mosque and the gates remained closed until the Ottoman period, where it decided to close the gate with stone completely in an attempt to get rid of the rumor that the Franks will return from that gate.

    Result of analysis of historical accounts:

    The third opinion is the opinion closest to the right.

    As the oldest mention of the gate, we learn from the description of the traveler Nasir Khusrawa, 438 AH / 1047 CE, to the Al Rahma gate “at some point in time they were a vestibule converted to a mosque and adorned it with carpets”.

    Therefore, the vestibule became a prayer hall after carpeted and no longer has Passage led out of the mosque.

    The closure of the gate was in the first stage, such as closing the Bab Al-Sakina (brother of the Alsisila gate).

    Where the wooden gate closed without the use of stones, and testifies to that described Mujir al-Din (900 AH / 1495) said: “They are now illegal”, he said while the old gate of funerals “a nice gate is blocked by building”.

    If Bab Rahma blocked construction during the time of the Mujir al-Din period, he will mention it.

    The popular saying that Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi is the one who closed the gate is a saying that has no evidence, and not said by the ancient historians.

    For example, Mujir al-Din al-Hanbali said that he told him an old man who closed Bab Al-Rahma and repentance is Khalifa Omar ibn al-Khattab!

    Important note:

    Between Majir al-Din and Salah al-Din less than 300 years, and if Salah al-Din is the one who closed them, it would have reached the knowledge of the one who told Mujair al-Din, but because the closure is very old, it attributed to the khalifa Omar ibn al-Khattab.

  • Al-Bab Al-Thulathi (The Triple Gate) (The Gate of the Mihrab of Maryam)

    Landmark Location: Three adjacent gates in the southern wall of Al-Aqsa Mosque wall 50 meters from the single gate and 80 meters from the double gate.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: East of South Dome of the Rock

    Landmark History:Overlooking the Dar Al-Emara and the existing Umayyad palaces south of Al-Aqsa, leading to the western wall of the Marwani Prayer Hall located inside Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Reason of the name:It was built to reach the prayer hall located under the southeastern arena of Al-Aqsa Mosque, which was Formerly known as the Eastern Settlement, named Al-Thulathi gate because it consists of three adjacent gates.

    Builder Name: The Umayyads (Abdul Malik bin Marwan).

    These gates served the Islamic neighborhoods and are located south of the mosque, where the gates were 3 times long (similar to the corridors of the double gate) under the level of the mosque leads to its yards.

    Gate’s closing:

    *There is a common saying that the gate closed after the liberation of Salahaddin, and circulated the word on the other closed gates, but there is no historical evidence to support this statement.

    Proof of inaccuracy:

    *In the conversation of Ibn al-Omari about the Marwani Prayer Hall in 755 AH-1354M mentioned open gates leading to ​​Silwan area, and was intended triple gate in the year 746 AH – 1345 AD.

    *The Marwani Prayer Hall reached until the year 900 AH – 1495 AD from outside the fence, the triple or single gate as pointed out by Hanbali.

    *During the excavations in the Umayyad region, the wall of Ayyubi revealed in front of the closed gates, this indicates that the Ayyubids protected the gates by building a fence in front of them and not closing it, as it believed.

    It is likely that the tripled and single gates completely closed after the reconstruction of the wall at the beginning of the Ottoman period.

    *After the Zionist occupation of Jerusalem in 1967:

    Following the failure of Jewish excavations in the Umayyad palaces south of Al Aqsa Mosque to prove any right to the Jews, they claimed that the triangular gate (as well as the double gate) of their alleged temple, called them ” Khalda gate “.

    They also claimed that they discovered the remains of Second, from the era of the Second Temple leading for there, and took it as an excuse to build a stone staircase along part of the southern wall of the Aqsa, specifically in the region between the triple and double gates.

    Thanks to Allah, Muslims were able to reduce that danger through restoration work for their worshipers.

    In 2001:

    As a result of excavations, part of the southern wall of Al-Aqsa Mosque split, between the triple gate and the single gate with a length of about 30 meters, this was the most severe eruption of Al-Aqsa Mosque since the occupation.

  • Bab Al-Muzdawaj (Double Gate) (Prophet’s Gate)

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: At the south-west.

    Landmark History:A very old gate may return in its origin to the Byzantines. *There is a view that says the gate is Umayyad origin in terms of the decoration of the gate adornment, which is similar to the decoration of Alrahma gate, Umayy construction.

    Reason of the name: The gate of the Prophet: There is a belief that the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him entered the journey of Isra’a, Omar ibn al-Khattab may Allah be pleased with him had entered it to the yards of the mosque after the Omary conquest. *The southern side of the wall of Al-Aqsa Mosque under the minaret of the imam of Al-Qibli mosque completely, and away from the triple gate 30 m to the west.

    The presence of Roman stones does not mean that the Roman gate in terms of the use of the builders of stone in Latin writing, but placed upside down, which indicates ignorance in a constructive Latin language or else they put it correctly.

    *The gate used as an entrance to the Umayyad palaces that south of the blessed Al Aqsa Mosque to the yards of the mosque through a long corridor known today as the (old Aqsa).

    *The biblical archaeologists claim that this section is one of the gates of the temple alleged to the name of their prophet Khalda, mentioned in their book “the Book of Kings”, this false claim not supported by any historical or archaeological facts.

    In their confusion about the label claims Jewish archaeologist Meir Ben Dov that the name may derived of the mole, which digs under the ground and comes out of another area Muscat, that description on the gate, which its bath goes under Al-Aqsa Mosque to the squares.

     

    The Gate through the Ages

    Fatimid period:

    A military tower was built on the western entrance of the gate as a front line of defense (mostly in the Fatimid period in preparation for the Franco invasion); the eastern gate present outside the tower, now seen from the area of ​​the ruins of the Umayyad palaces.

    Crusader Time:

    The Crusaders used the tower and added for it.

     

     Al-Ayyubi:

    Salah al-ddin turned it after liberation to a corner waqf for Jalal al-Din al-Shashi.

     

     

    The Mameluke Period:

    This corner was known in the Mamluk era as alKhattaniya corner, after Sheikh Shams al-Din al-Khattani, who lived in it.

    Present:

    The corner today occupies the library of the mosque (the library of Khutaniyah).

    * Ibn Fadlullah al-‘Umari (746 AH) mentioned in his visit to al-Zawiya, the building of the tower on the gate did not prevent entry and exit from the south side of the mosque through a small gate in the corner.

    The gate remained open until a scary on Al-Khatnia corner of the occupation of the Israeli, so the gate closed.

     

     

     
     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  • Al-Magharibah Gate (Bab al-Nabi / al-Buraq)

    Landmark History:Converted as the gate in 1953.

    Reason of the name:Named like this because it is near to Al Maghariba Neighborhood.

    Builder Name: Developed as a gate by the Jordanian government.

    It’s Location in Respect of the Old Town

    Located in the wall of the Old Town from the southeast in the south of it.

    Details of the shape

    The gate consists of a rectangular entrance, the depth of which is 2.5 meters, the same as the depth of the wall and the top of the entrance.

    The first two stone thresholds are topped by a rectangular arch whose size is medium and vertical, it was built on two square stones above the threshold and between the threshold and the arch, inside the fence and the first likeness in size and length and above it is a corridor leading to the upper wall.

    The gate, not like the rest of the gates, does not have a broken layout to the inside or an existing angle, which is a gate of medium size and greatness, consider as a simple one.

    Additional Information about the landmark

    In the era of the gate was not a gate, but was a tower was built in (947 AH / 1540).

    Then expanded by the Jordanian government in 1953 to facilitate the movement of cars to the inside and outside the town, the gate is a hole in the wall only.

    It also called Bab al-Nabi al-Buraq; in 2007, the occupation demolished the road leading to it, as 7% of the residents of Jerusalem enter from it to pray at Al-Aqsa Mosque.

  • Bab Aldeman

    Landmark History:Between 1188 and 1190 AD.

    Reason of the name:The gate was named "Deman", which is the waste that thrown is in the area of ​​the gate.

    Builder Name: Salahaddin Al – Ayyubi

    It’s Location in Respect of the Old Town

    The southern wall of the Old City is located next to the Maghariba gate to the east and to the west, surrounded by remnants of Byzantine and Roman buildings, or buildings of the early Islamic era, such as the towers, the sulfur tower, stone houses and wells.

    Details of the shape
    The gate was built according to the Ayyubids method, which imitated the Crusader building, the ceiling of the gate is low and it is from the small old gates characterized by the decorative forms taken from the Crusaders.

    Additional Information about the landmark
    Discovered the gate in the twentieth century specifically in the nineties.

    It also called Al Zabl gate and is now closed.

    *The gate between the past and the present: The gate in the past was an entrance to the Old Town but now it is closed

  • Bab Anabi Dawood (The gate of the prophet David)

    Landmark History:In (947 AH / 1540 AD).

    Reason of the name:Named like this it leads to the shrine of the Prophet David peace be upon him.

    Builder Name: Suleiman Al-Qanoni

    It’s Location in Respect of the Old Town

    Located in the wall of the Old Town from the south-west.

    Details of the shape

    The gate consists of an entrance and a holding of pointed stone on top of the entrance to the gate, part of the gate made of wood covered with copper.

    When entering the gate there is a garage which resembles a box, its roof is covered ceilings, then there is a corridor that enters right to reach the wall from inside.

    In addition, at a simple distance from it, there is a tower used militarily, as it shows from the building of the gate that its style military architecture.

    The tower used for monitoring and throwing arrows and throwing oil, the gate decorations such as crowns that adorn the top of the sides of the gate.

    Decorations in the shape of geometric circular, which is similar gates with other gates in terms of the corridor broken into the interior and decoration, also balconies the gate is similar to the one on the Bab Rahma and Al Tawba.

    The top of the gate engraved the name of the builder of the gate with the year of building.

    Additional Information about the landmark

    The gate closed between 1948 and 196, because it was overlooking the west of Jerusalem directly.

    *In the 1948 war, the gate damaged due to the bullets and the shells that used, and the remnant still exist.

    This gate considered by the Jews as the main gate for them, because it close to the Jewish Quarter – Hart Al-Sharaf -, and it Considered as an entrance to it.

    Known also as Bab Sohioun (Zion gate) since it is near the place where Christians believe that Jesus peace be upon him the last nest with the Al Hawarion.

    A group of Armenians also took the task of opening and closing the gate.

  • Al-Khalil Gate

    Landmark History:In the year 944 AH / 1537 AD.

    Reason of the name:Named because it views the road leading to Hebron city.

    Builder Name: Ottoman Sultan Suleiman al Qanoni.

    It’s Location in Respect of the Old Town

    Located on the western side of the wall of the Old Town near Jerusalem Castle.

    Details of the shape

    The gate consists of an entrance gate closed by the sides of the gate, which consists of wood covered with copper.

    At the end of the entrance, a large pointed stone arch connects to the distributor with a roof-vaulted fan, and then a corridor turns to the right, then to the left with a roof cross into the fence.

    The gate decorated with rows of hollow cones dangling in a consistent way – moqarsnat – and there is a star stepping on the gate from outside

    Additional Information about the landmark

    It is one of the most important gates located in the wall of the Old Town and overlooks a larger area of ​​the town from outside, so characterized by its military uses.

    The gate also called Yafa gate after Jaffa city, launched by the west traveler, and the gate of the mihrab David after the prophet David peace upon him.

     

  • Bab Al-Sahera

    Landmark History:944 AH / 1537 AD.

    Reason of the name:Named to the meaning of "flat place".

    Builder Name: Ottoman Sultan Suleiman Al Qanoni.

    It’s Location in Respect of the Old Town

    Located in the northern wall and in the eastern side of the gate of the column, which is half a kilometer away and overlooks the gate on the Alsahera cemetery and Alsahera plain.

    Additional Information about the landmark

    The gate is small with stone decorations; its construction is simple within the tower square shape consists of an entrance and a tapered arch.

    closes the entrance to the entrance two columns – two parts of the gate – of the wood covered with copper and connects the entrance to a distributor with a ceiling vaulted fan and a small room to reach the corridor turns left.

    Between the opening of the entrance and the tapered arch is a decorative inscription.

    As for the road that leads to the gate, established at the beginning of the twentieth century, in the east, because of the method of building the entrances of the walls in the middle Ages and is entering the gate at a straight angle.

    In the front of the interior gate, there are geometric decorations comprising three circles of stone hexagonal of the convergence of the triangles legs equal, called the ring of Suleiman or the Star of David is an Islamic decoration of Islamic art and has nothing to do with the slogan of the occupation.

    In addition, there is inscription written in the Ottoman Thuluth handwriting.

    At the beginning of the gate, a large opening in one of the towers of the northern wall of the Old City wall.

    In the Crusader period, it was not built, as the gate was built to facilitate the entry of residents of the neighborhoods such as Bab Hatta and Saadia to new neighborhoods built after the middle of the 19th century in the north as Haret Nusaiba, Sahira and Husayniyah.

    It also called the flowers gate – Hebrew – and Herod and Medellin gate – English.

  • Bab Al-Amoud (Nablus Gate / Damascus Gate)

    Landmark History:The old gate was built in 135 AD and the current in 1538.

    Reason of the name:Named after the fact that the Roman column was at the gate.

    Builder Name: Hadrian built the lower part of the gate in 135 AD, the upper one was built by Suleiman Al Qanoni in 1538 (the building of the Ottomans appears now, but the Roman building is below and not visible).

    Central of the northern wall of the Old City Wall and connect to two streets named Khan al-Zayt and al-Wad road.

     

    The construction of the gate is high and strong, consists of an entrance, a contract and a corridor, the entrance is a very large arch standing on two stone pillars carved above it holes with the objectives of the security, there is a top gate inscriptions documenting the history of construction.

    The niches of the gate are hollow and domed, which are characterized by architecture known as Almukasanat, as well as stars and circular shapes, the entrance to the gate consists of copper-clad wood, one of the most beautiful gates of the Old Town, most of which are architecture and ornamentation, and the column had a Roman statue of Hadrian.

     

    The gate consists of two levels, one of which is the upper Ottoman building – now visible – and the lower one consists of triangular arch and can be seen only lateral and western entrance of it.

    Surrounded the arch of any nodes two towers containing a large room and large lead to the road, 4.5 m, discussed the words “There is no god but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah”.

    The gate ends with a bow in the shape of two large towers facing two columns to fortify the gate from the inside and above them, two crowns and some decorations, the gate leads to a corridor with a domed roof that turns to the right and then the left and its roof crossed into the wall. .

     

    The lower section contains a museum that tells the evolution of the gate of the column, which have part of the Roman Street and is now lower than the level of the gate now visible- Ottoman built-.

    *The gate now resisted by an unjust Judaization campaign, the occupation declared in 1967 that it would close the gate, because of excavations that would affect the identity of the area; the closure also caused an economic crisis for Jerusalemites.

    It also called Nablus gate because it leads to Nablus, also named Damascus gate because it was the exit of the Damascene caravans, also called the gate of victory and the gate of St. Stephen.

     

  • Al-Bab Al-Jadeed (The New Gate) (Bab Abdul Hamid)

    Landmark History:In 1887.

    Reason of the name:Named like this because the gate was recently built, unlike the other gates.

    Builder Name: Sultan Abdul Hamid II.

    Additional Information about the landmark

    Located in the wall of the Old Town on the north-west side between Bab al-Amud and Bab al-Khalil, which is near the Latin monastery and Al-Qaimari mosque.

    Details of the shape

    The gate is a small size, its decoration is simple geometry, its shape is convex, vaulted in its middle is a stone, its dimensions (2 × 4.5) m2.

    On its sides is a frame of orthogonal stone and successive after it a row of construction – Madamek -, its history goes back for a period before the gate created, the small contain stone towers were built after punching the wall.

    Additional Information about the landmark

    In the middle of the 19th century, the gate Experienced developing.

    In one of the documents and contracts that reported on 15/12/1885 a number of residents of Christians neighborhood asked to open a new gate in the wall of the town, to facilitate the movement of entry and exit for them, and for the pilgrims coming and to transport their goods especially after Al-Khalil Gate crowded people, especially in the Christian seasons.

    There are documents that say that the gate opened because of the arrival and visit of Gliom II, one of the emperors of Germany in 1898, also called Bab Abdul Hamid because he built it.