– Building caravanserai is considered one of the Islamic architectural arts. They are built for the merchants to live in, sale and purchase. – In the Old Town in Jerusalem, there are four ancient caravanserai: al-Sultan, king Moayad caravanserai, the Copts, and Tinkz caravanserai.
Reason of the name:
It was owned by the Qubts, a Christian sect.
Al Mutran Anba Ibraham.
- Located in the Christian Quarter, adjacent to Al-Khalil gate, which is one of the gates of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, the Mosque of Omar ibn al-Khattab and Alqiama church, near the monastery of St. George.
- A large pool in the middle, used in the days of the Ottomans to collect winter rains.
-The Qupts khan built according to the Quptic Church.
-The president of the Al Aqsa Academy Najih Bakirat said that when the Frankish conquered Jerusalem in 1079, they expelled the Qupts from the Khan, but Salahaddin returned them after the liberation of Jerusalem in 1187.
-In the Ottoman era, the Khan used for hospitality, and pilgrims, pilgrims and passers-by settled in, in 1967, the Khan transformed into a residential neighborhood full of Jerusalemites, it is behind each door of a family, and the Khan today accommodates 35 families, each housed in a residence ranging between forty and forty square meters
-It is worth mentioning that the Khan transformed from a place of hospitality and stability of pilgrims and passers-by to a residential neighborhood for the residents of Jerusalem.
-Today, residents of Al-Khan are suffering from cracks in the houses and high humidity due to the Israeli occupation forces preventing the owners from renovating their old homes.
- The use of the khan, was a place of hospitality and stability of pilgrims and passersby, and later turned into a residential neighborhood for Jerusalemites.
renewed in 1386 AD / 788 AH.
Reason of the name:
Named after its restorer the Mamluk Sultan Al-Zaher Barquq.
- The original building is not known who its founder, but Sultan Al-Zaher Barqouq of Mamelukes renovated the Khan and allocated it for trade.
- The Khan is located at the beginning of the Bab Al-Silasila road on the western side in the north of the road and in the middle of the big market.
- The Khan shall consist of two floors, the first – the lower – Mamelukes of the Covenant, and contains two entrances in the northern and southern sides and height equal to the height of the Khan.
-The two entrances lead to a semi-vaulted roofed corridor with ventilating holes and sunlight, the corridor leads to a courtyard or a round courtyard with rooms on the southern side of the square, two stone staircases parallel to each other lead to the second floor of the Khan, on the southern side of the floor is a stable, knotted.
- The function of this floor was to receive the goods coming from the countryside to Jerusalem and a fold where animals (animals).
-As for the second floor, it used for hospitality and reception of merchants coming from travel, it is Ottoman and its construction is similar to that of the first floor, it does not contain a stable, it has rooms that are slightly different and have similar entrances, the rooms separated by a corridor.
- The rooms located in two rows: East and West, from the floor is a small room for prayer.
-Since the construction of the building not dedicated to be Khana for sale and purchase, but in the Mameluke era began to use as Khan as the legitimate arguments of the Khan and the documents of the Al-Aqsa Mosque.
- The Khan income allocated to be a supporter of all projects for the maintenance of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, amounting to approximately 400 Golden Dinars; the Khan was the center of commercial life in Jerusalem, the work of the Khan based on valuing the goods and placing the taxes on them.
-At one time, the Khan sold cheese, milk and ghee.
- The Khan is famous for the fact that the road leading to it from the line of David attributed to it and extended from the big market until the beginning of the Jewish Quarter, but now the khan needs to be restored and maintenance because of neglect and there is overcrowding on it, which prevents restoration or expansion.
-A hundred years ago, the Khan trade changed to shoe factories and now it abandoned and the merchants are no longer coming to it for sale.
- Its use has turned into houses and stores for some poor Jerusalem families, which insist that they continue to be in Jerusalem, they are about 120 individuals.
-Part of the Khan become Stores and shops for work, Jerusalemites despite the high taxes and arbitrary Judaization of the area, it is also called the Agency, Al-Mareai Agency, the Agency Khan and the House of Vegetables.
- Khan in the past and present: old was a flourishing business center, but now it used as housing and stores for Jerusalemites.
Year (737 AH / 1336 AD).
Reason of the name:
Named after its builder, the Prince Saif al-Din Tnkz Naciri.
Prince Saif al-Din Tnkz of Naciri.
- In the middle of the southern wall of the Qattanin market, to the west of Al Aqsa Mosque directly, east of the old town.
- A large integrated architectural mall (22 × 32) m², with a great architectural design, Where necessary facilities for the performance of business functions and the arranged work of personnel, and provided all the necessary means of transport and goods and to provide all necessary services.
-He Khan composed of two floors and reached from a door located on the north side of the Khan.
-The road leads to a rectangular corridor on one side, a large stable of animals located on the opposite side, the area is open, on the eastern side where there are a number of rooms used for animal feed, and the second floor consists of a group of rooms used to house the workers in the Khan.
-Known as Khan Otozper, it is similar to the planning and design of the Mameluke khan and it much considered in planning and engineering, such as the provision of rooms for accommodation and accommodation, storage places for goods, and other for animals and fodder.
-The Khan is of the most important position, from Al-Aqsa Mosque, ends in the best markets in the city, where it is the most crowded, sophisticated and the height, as well as the most abundant places for all the needs of the pioneers of facilities.
--There are many legitimate arguments and information related to this Khan and its great role and aspects of its exploitation and reconstruction, however, thirty-two shops in the market of Qattanin belong to this Khan.
-The entire Khan restored in 978 AH / 1570 AD, following a devastating earthquake that hit part of it, the Mameluke Sultan, King Mu’ayyad Shahabuddin Ahmad Bin Inal, was the owner of the Khan in the year 865 AH / 1460 AD.
- The public auction, throughout the ages and the past of Jerusalem from the calamities affected by the Khan conditions, destroyed some parts, neglected part of the other, and used some rooms as stores and rooms for workshops.
-Recently, took the rest of the Khan to the headquarters of the Jerusalem Studies Center in the hope of preserving it and its ancient Jerusalem identity, but the danger always faced by the plans of the occupation that impose Judaization on every part of Jerusalem.
Reason of the name:
As for the building of the Sultan, the king Al-Mo’ayad Shehab Dein.
Sultan King Muayyed Shahab aldin Ahmed bin Malik Al-Ashraf Abi-Nasr Inal.
- This Khan located in the market of Qattanin.
- It is more famous as Khan Alqtanin because it used to store and buy cotton, and weight in the cotton bunker and sell it on the market.
-It hired by Qasim ibn Ahmad in AH 944 / AD 1537, the Khan in the Ottoman era was under way to waqf Makkah and Madinah in Hijaz; it renovated in the 1980s and considered one of the most important landmarks in historic Jerusalem.
The American President, Donald Trump, has announced his administration’s official recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Also, he moved the American Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, in a move that was preceded by Arab, Islamic, and international criticism and condemnation.