A library is an intellectual institution that contains books of all kinds, and in their written and audio formats. It’s intended to collect as much scientific, cultural, intellectual, educational, social, and other kinds of books as possible, to increase the number of sources that help people and readers.
As for the types of libraries, there are public libraries, libraries for individuals, and the libraries in schools and universities.
In the Old Town, there are 15 important historical libraries, the best-known are: the Armenian Library, Al-Khalidiya Library, Al-Baderi Library, the Library of the Islamic Courts in Jerusalem, and the Library in Al-Aqsa Mosque.
Landmark Location: The library is located in the building of Awqaf Bab al-Sahira.
Landmark History:The end of the 1940s.
Reason of the name:Named by this name because it is the largest library in the Arab world with records of the oldest records of the world.
The contents of the library through history to several places, including the building of the old Islamic court in Bab al-Silesia.
Which dates back to the eighth century AH, and then to the corner of the Zawya Bukharia in 1941, and finally settled in the building of Awqaf Bab al-Sahira, where it is now, 1982.
The number of records of the Court is 616 records, and these records of nearly one hundred thousand pages, and the first record of 14 Shawwal 936 Hijri is the oldest records of the Islamic courts in all Arab countries.
The library’s records cover a long period of the ancient history of Jerusalem in the Ottoman era, and the common language of records was Arabic, but it contained
Also records in the Turkish language dating back to the first two centuries of the Ottoman rule of Palestine, and the number of pages of each of these records of about 150 to 300 pages.
The first page written in each record the name of the judge and the first date he sat for the provision, and each document was a signature the documents in the library are among the most important records and documents that are reliable for the cultural, historical, economic and political history of Palestine in the Ottoman era.
It worth mentioning that the protection of the contents of the library and the numbering of records, the Eminence of the Holy Judge of Jerusalem, Abdul Hamid Al – Seyyed,
The library divided into three types of records:
Fermin’s and orders issued by the central authority to the governor or judge or other senior officials, and the decisions of the appointment and sectors of the majority of the first two centuries of Ottoman rule in Palestine.
– Records of commandments and legacies.
– Military and regular military records.
Landmark Location: Located in the Oqbat al-Rasas, hara Saadiya.
Reason of the name:Named this name because it belongs to the University of Jerusalem
The three-store school building built in an Islamic style and has several rooms and gardens, and features a terrace overlooking the Old Towns.
– This library established in order to exploit one of the old buildings in the town of Jerusalem and turn it into a public library benefiting the people of Jerusalem and students of schools and universities, and it has the availability of technical equipment and computers for its visitors, as well as a venue for seminars, conferences and lectures.
This library is a direct focus for students of schools and universities, works to support the cultural sector in the city.
Works to exploit the existing buildings of the city, and support the rest of the libraries in the region, focuses books available in the library on Jerusalem in all areas and issues, and promotes belonging to the reader.
Many books attract diverse, such as literature, poetry, Islamic and Arabic books, humanities, history, science, technology and others.
The library is a knowledge center, through manuscripts, books and research, it also has a strategic location that enables citizens or any group of conferences and lectures, the library equipped with the necessary technology.
Landmark Location: The library is located on the ground floor from the Al-Wafaeia corner. At Bab Al-Nazir in the Old Town and an interview with the Almnjkia School.
Reason of the name:To whom made it waqf Sheikh Mohammed bin Bedair.
Builder Name: Sheikh Mohammed bin Bedair al - Qudsi.
Is one floor (ground floor) of the Wafaeia corner building.
The library contains books dating back to 1180 AH, and the library managed today by the family of al-Budairi.
The founder of the library one of the greatest scholars of Jerusalem descended from the family of ancient and known in Jerusalem with its bookcases.
However, lost and dissipated after they broke up, Mohamad Ben Badir under a legitimate argument on 19 Dhu al-Hijjah in 1205 AH / 1790 AD.
A section of the archives of the library owned by Sheikh Mohammed al-Budairi, it made in a special wing in his house, which made waqf by the library and known by its name under a legitimate argument.
The library included a thousand manuscripts, the rest of which are still in a deplorable state, the Manuscript Center at the University of Jordan also photocopied these manuscripts, and some of them photographed by the Institute of Manuscripts of the Arab League.
Current use: parts of the library remain known today as Dar al-Budairi, and the work of the library has ceased with the death of its owner, Sheikh Musa al-Budairi.
Landmark Location: The library is located in the Islamic Quarter, in the west of the Bab Al-Silasila road, and converted to a distance of about 100 meters away, to the west of Dar Al-Quran Al-Islamiyya, and across the Tazia Cemetery.
Landmark History:In 1899 AD (1318 AH).
Reason of the name:Named after Al-Khalidi family who own it.
Builder Name: Al-Haj Ragheb Al - Khalidi.
This building preserved in the building, where it dispersed in the house, surrounded by curved frames.
Establishment of the library:
Al-Haji Ragheb Al-Khalidi established the Khalidiya library as an Islamic stand, with a sum of money recommended by his grandmother Khadija Khalidi, the daughter of Musa Effendi al-Khalidi, who was the judge of the Anatolian army in 1832.
The Library based on knowledge and scientific knowledge of the Khalidi family’s manuscripts and books collected from successive generations by Muhammad Sann Allah. Muhammad Ali. Yusuf Diaa Pasha. Sheikh Musa Shafiq, Rawhi Beik and many others.
The library intended to be public and benefit including all of its pioneers and strengthen their knowledge, and encourage interest in the mothers of books in Islamic sciences and in modern topics.
The library is an architectural model representing Jerusalem in the middle Ages.
The building dates back to the Kingdom of Jerusalem during the Crusader period in the 13th century, it unknown later, three al-Qaeda fighters buried in the Al-Khwarizmi Corps that defeated the Crusaders in Palestine.
These three are the father and two sons, and the father’s name is Bareket Khan (hence, the building in the Mamluk era was called “the soil of the pool of Khan”).
There is an assumption that Prakt Khan is the son of the Mamluk Sultan Baybars, who married the daughter of one of the Khwarizm leaders.
In 1952, after the death of the first library official, the library deteriorated and closed.
After the conquest of Jerusalem in 1967, there was a great effort by the Al Rab Shlomo Gurin to acquire the site, but in 1992, because of the insistence of orientalist Amnon Cohen and archaeologist Dan Baht, the building rebuilt and reopened as a library in 1995.
The library has 1,278 manuscripts dating back to the Mameluke and Ottoman periods, as well as 5,000 printed books, it deals with topics of history, geography, astronomy, the Koran, philosophy and poetry.
The vast majority written in Arabic, 18 in Persian, 46 in Turkish, and the oldest manuscript in the library deals with the Maliki law and goes back to the century
Eleventh, the library has a relatively large number of original manuscripts written by the author himself, not by the scribes, there are also decorated books, which given as gifts, among them a gift given to Saladin, there are also books in thirteenth-century Indian medicine, 16th century and more.
Landmark Location: Located south of the Old Town, in the Harat Al-Sharaf between the Jews and Armenians
Reason of the name:For the Al-Sirian Christians.
It is one of the oldest libraries in Jerusalem, and the shelves of the library with manuscripts and documents as well as various Sultanan Fermanat,
Indexed and collected by Yusuf Istvan Al-Siriani in 1925, he pointed out that the oldest Islamic documents dating back to 825 AH / 1421, most recently dated in 1306 AH / 1888 AD.
It written in the Arabic language and some in Turkish. Cont Philip di Tarazi said that he had read the manuscript catalog of the monastery and found 362 manuscripts, some of which written on the skins of the Dir, and some of them were decorated with wonderful pictures, including ancient instruments, arguments and letters. Researchers in the dates of Orient, especially Beit al-Muqds.
Landmark Location: Located in the Christian Quarter, north of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Landmark History:451 AD.
Reason of the name:Named after the Patriarch of the Greek Orthodox, who has been living there since 1846.
The library’s archives belong to a collection of libraries, including the library of the Dir Mar Saba, the library of Dir Al-Maslaba of the Al Qbr Muqadas, which annexed to some in 1856, the library is one of the richest libraries in Jerusalem, with 2400 manuscripts.
11 Language, Syriac and Arabic languages, three-quarters of these manuscripts are written in Greek, there are 1800 Greek manuscripts, most of the manuscripts were written between the 5th and 18th centuries, the value of these manuscripts is only allowed by the Patriarch or his assistant.
Among the most important archives of the library are the covenant given by the Prophet Muhammad to all monks and Christians.
Al Ohda Al-Omarya, the reign of Muawiyah bin Abi Sufyan, and the confirmation of the Al Ohda Al-Omarya by Sultan Selim al-Othmani and other documents confirming the privileges of the Romans In 1897.
The Greek documentary “Papadopoulos Keramius” published in a four-volume book called “The Selection of Jerusalem Documents”.
These documents cover a long period from the Byzantine period to the Ottoman period, and it contains an index of hundreds of documents Arabic and Turkish.
Landmark Location: In the Armenian Quarter, southwest of the Old City.
Landmark History:The monastery dates back to 1165 AD, but the library founded in 1929.
Reason of the name:Named after the Armenian monastery.
Builder Name: Armenian monks.
This monastery built in 1165, it contains the largest collection of ancient Armenian documents in the world, some dating back to the first Christian centuries, the library is also surrounded by paintings and wonderful information, which not be access without the special permission of the Patriarch or his deputy
A large Armenian library was established in the monastery, in which more than 60,000 volumes, 3,700 manuscripts, it also maintains a collection of Ottoman and Mameluke documents that are generally related to Armenian rights in holy places, religious property, as well as tax and pilgrimage issues, and also include decrees issued by Muslim rulers to the Armenian community.
Landmark Location: Near Bab Al-Khalil.
Landmark History:Founded in 1890.
Reason of the name:Named after its location in the Roman Patriarchate.
– Created to serve monks within the monastery, and its subjects re limited to religious, philosophical, historical, and theological topics, where there are about 3 thousand books in different languages.
Landmark Location: In the Christian Quarter, northwest of the Old City inside the walls of the Old City
Landmark History:The library founded since the establishment of the Latin Monastery, in 1561.
Reason of the name:For the Franciscans who set up the library.
Builder Name: Franciscan monks.
The library was at the beginning of its establishment, especially with the monks, it contained the books they brought with them when they joined the monastery, then it became a public library that everyone can visit, the number of books today is 42,000, written in different languages such as Italian, French, Spanish, English,
Where the topics contained in the library, books on philosophy and theology, manuscripts and documents are rare and of high value.
The Library is one of the richest libraries in the world for its documents concerning the Holy House, where it kept by the monks for more than seven centuries.
The most important of these documents included the documents relating to the Mameluke period and the Ottoman period and the relation of the rulers to the Franciscan monks, documents 454, including the Church of the Holy Sepulcher and other monasteries.