Markets

A market is a place for supplying goods to buyers.
In the Old Town, there are 21 markets; most of them are named after the goods sold, such as the meat market, mats market; named after the fact that mats and carpets are being sold a lot there, and which named for the large sale of mats and carpets, herbalists’ market that is famous for selling spices and medical herbs, and many other important markets that are contribute to revitalize the Old Town.

  • Pick a point from the map
  • Bab Al-Silsila Market (Alshwayeen market)

    Reason of the name:
    Named after Bab Al-Silsila - one of the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Between the Ashrafieh school from the north and Tnkazia from the south (in the Islamic District), and merges the market with the merchants market and in the market street leads to the wall Buraq

    The market includes several prominent landmarks such as the Khalidiya Library, the Bab Al Silesia Mosque, the Khan Sultan Zahir Barqouq (Mameluke), the Supreme Islamic Council, the Al Asali Plantation and some of the graves of good people.

    -The occupation restricts the merchants of the market with racism, oppression and injustice against them, and the settlers who are trying to break their will harass them. The occupation has taken over some houses and shops because they are close to the Buraq wall.

    The occupation does not stop trying to displace and expel traders through the large irregularities they put on them and trying to buy shops with large sums.

    -It is also called the Shawien market.

  • Qattaneen market

    Landmark History:
    Year 737 AH - 1336 AD

    Reason of the name:
    It was named Qattaneen because cotton and silk products are soild in it (fabrics)

    Builder Name: Prince Saif al-Din Tnkaz al-Nasiri, deputy of the Sham during the reign of King Al-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qalawun

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Located in the western part of the wall of the Western Al Aqsa Mosque between Bab al-Mutahra and Bab alhadid – across the Dome of the Rock from the outside – and extends from the east of the city to its west.

    -It is 100 meters long and 10 meters wide, on both sides were shops that are not old but mostly closed, there are about 60 shops and across shops in two rows, separated by a semi-vault vault ceiling, which is held on 30 contracts.

    It has a corridor leading directly to Al-Aqsa Mosque; each shop has one or more openings for ventilation and lighting.

    -The market has two entrances, the first from Al-Wad road on the western side and the second from Al-Aqsa Mosque on the eastern side, formerly known as the Cotton Traders Portal.

    At the ceiling of the corridor adjacent to the gate that leads to Al-Aqsa Mosque, cross domes and hollow curves to the inside, hangs in their harmonious sequence in the way of the Al Moqarsanat.

    -There is a bath in the middle of the market known as “Bath Al-Shifa”, which is special for men, and the latest in the west Eye bath in front of it, on the western side, is a road connected to the Islamic orphanage, as well as to Al-Qurami neighborhood and then to Bab Khan al-Zayt.

    -The market contains new shops other than the other old, today the market works in the same profession and is sale of cotton and silk fabrics despite the methods of occupation of the Judaization of the Old Town.

    -There is currently a “commercial depression” in the market and a lack of sales movement because of the unfair occupation taxes, most notably the Arnona tax, and the market threatens excavations started in the seventies, at 1974.

    -The market’s endowments are dedicated to the Dome of the Rock and the Tikkaz School, and to its restoration, management and securing its gates at night.

    -It also is restored by the Islamic Council in 1929.

    The market continues to function despite the constraints of the occupation and the imposition of taxes and the isolation of Jerusalem from the Palestinian side.

    -In the past and present, this market was one of the city’s best markets, the busiest and the most well-built and rising markets. Cotton and silk fabrics from India sold in during the Mamelukes, but the market at this time is deplorable

  • Bab Hitta Market

    Landmark Location: It’s located in Bab Hitta Quarter, near Al-Aqsa Mosque, northeast of the Old Town.

    Reason of the name:
    Named after its location in Bab Hitta Quarter.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    It has a lot of bakeries, and shops. It is independent and isolated from the other markets.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Bab Hitta Market is considered one of the Old Town’s markets. It is located in Bab Hitta Quarter, near Al-Aqsa Mosque. It was named after its location. Also, it has a lot of bakeries, and shops. The market is independent and isolated from the other markets.

  • Al-Kabeer Market (The Big Market) (Chef’s Market / Vegetable Market)

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    The market located on the western side of the intersection of the Jewish market with the merchants market and reaches the eastern side of Bab Al-Silsila – one of the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque –

    -The market divided into two parts:

    The first covered with a roof covering it and windows for ventilation and the introduction of the sun,

    The second is exposed and not covered, and in the middle of the market the so-called Khan Sultan, which contains contemporary mills and specifically in the center of the north of the market.

    -Also called the big market, the market of chefs, and the vegetable market after the sale of vegetables in it.

  • Market of Jews (Al-Munadileen Street)

    Landmark History:
    Built after the middle of the 19th century

    Reason of the name:
    It was named like this because Jewish merchants were selling in it before 1936

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Across Al-Tujjar market and separated by several shops and also across the Bashoura market from the east.

    -The market is long and extended from the point of convergence of the traders market with the large market in the north.

    -In the period leading up to 1936, the majority of merchants were Jews, but after 1936 and after the Arab revolt against the Jews because of the Balfour Declaration and abandoned most of the Jews, then came a large number of Hebron merchants Muslims and replaced the place of Jewish merchants.

    -The Jews who did not leave were few, but returned after 1967 and occupied larger areas of the Old Town, including the markets, a section they demolished and removed from existence, including buildings, markets and schools, and another section took over and exploited it for their own purposes.

    -It also called Street militants.

    -The market in the past and present:
    The market was full of Jewish merchants before 1936, then migrated, became Arabs place until the occupation of Jerusalem in 1967, the demolition of most of the market, and remained several shops only.

  • Al-Tujjar Market (Traders’ Market) (Al Khawajat Market / Eastern Market / Al-Sagha Market)

    Reason of the name:
    Was famous for selling gold and known as the market of the sagha

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -The non-Muslims known as the Khawajat market.

    -Located near the junction of the main axes in the Old Town, to the east of the Attarin market and ends south of the Jewish market.

    -The market is an old place where the silk and fabrics sold, has a roof and windows and ends in the south of the Jewish market.

    -This market is part of the triple market, which includes the Al Lahamin market, the market of Attarine, in the past, the market was famous for the sale of gold, but after the market established Aftimos moved the sale of gold to the market,

    Limited to dealers on the sale of fabrics and traditional clothing such as traditional clothes such as Al-Qambaz, and gowns.

    -In 1927, an earthquake hit the site and destroyed the northern part of the area, the area of ​​the market shrank from 541 m to 57 m and the destroyed part became a ruin.

    -It also called the Khawajat Market, the Eastern Market and the Al-Sagha Market.

  • Al Bashoura Market

    Landmark History:
    The Roman Period.

    Reason of the name:
    Bashura is a castle.

    Builder Name: The Romanians.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    –In the south of the Attarin market, the southwest of the Old Town.

    -The market characterized by marble columns in Roman style.

    -In precedent, the market used as the headDistricts of the Mameluke rulers, and the occupation Judaization of part of the market after the conquest of Jerusalem in full in 1967, called the Roman name “Kardo market ” closed by Al-Hadeed gate, after the excavations revealed the Romanian market, which is an extension of the Bashoura market.

    *The Salame Café located in the market, the old history, and begins with the Jewish District and the Kardo Street.

  • Al Attarin Market

    Landmark History:
    The Mameluke era.

    Reason of the name:
    According to the sale of spices and natural herbs in it

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Market located west of the Old Town between the Al Lhamin market and Khawajat, it is the link between the Bab Khan Zait market and Mats market.

    -The market distinguishes its arched roof – Mameluke era – extends from the beginning of the market to its end, and has cellars intersecting each other have ventilation openings and lighting.

    -The market is one of the beautiful markets selling herbs such as balsam and jasmine, and also the uses of the market varied and now the shops of Atara was rare.

    -The middle market of the trilateral market (located between the “Al Lahamin Market” and “Al Khawajat Market”).

    -The occupation is trying to control the market by offering large sums of money to merchants and sellers to leave their shops, but their attempts failed.

    -The market is now a major tourism scheme, which is the creation of a tourist route within the market aimed at building parks, mufflers and restaurants, making 77 shops under threat.

    -The owners of the shops do not surrender to the invasion of the market to collect the high taxes imposed on it

  • Al-Husur Market (Mats’ Market)

    Reason of the name:
    it’s a market where mats and carpets are being sold widely.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Southwest of the Old Town, at the end of the bazaar market – from the east and extends until the Al-Lahamin market – in the south.

    -Market is old, small, and now almost deserted. Through which people can enter the Jewish District, and the market contains shops (shops) closed.

    -In the early era of the market was a place to sell carpets and mats in all its forms and types, but now the market almost deserted.

    -Market in the past and present: was thriving in the past and now semi-deserted.

  • Al-Lahamin Market (Meat Market)

    Landmark History:
    During the rule of the Crusaders between 1099 and 1187 AD

    Reason of the name:
    As the presence of shops dedicated to the sale of meat and fish

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Located west of the Old Town, at the end of the bazaar market from the east and west of the traders market.

    -The market is a 28-column arched roof with a number of ventilation windows and a part of the triangular market, which also includes the market of the Attarin and the merchants.

    -Previously, there were 100 shops selling meat, over time shops began to increase, ranging from small restaurants to selling wool, cleaning tools and selling vegetables.

    -The Umayyads and the Mamelukes restored the market during their rule of Jerusalem, in the 1980s, the occupation tried to control the market, resulting in the death of a young man because of heavy gunfire.

    -The occupation trying to impose restrictions on the merchants of this market through the apartheid wall,

    which closed half of the shops and imposed a very high taxes such as Arnona, and the constant threat of cutting off electricity and services, resulting in increased pressure on the merchant Jerusalem, 68 shops closed in the market, which make up more than 50% of the shops in it.

    -In the past, the market was full of traders, traders and buyers. *Today, the difficult financial situation of the Jerusalemites deprived the market of its vitality and function.

    -The market now does not sell meat or fish as it was previously, only in a few shops that have held up to date and this is the result of the occupation of the city of the Judaization of the city.

    -The western part of the market under the property of the Lutheran monastery, the occupation took over the surface of the market and turned it into a synagogue

  • Al-Nahhaseem market (Copper Market)

    Landmark History:
    Between 1250 and 1516 AD (the Mameluke period.

    Reason Of The Name:
    The presence of shops dedicated to the manufacture of copper and sold.

    Additional Information about the landmark:

    -Located at the north of Alahamin Market, south of Bab Khan Al-Zayt.

    -Now there are only one copper shop left in the market, with one shop specializing in the sale, manufacture and whitening of copper, as the market trade changed from the copper industry to other commercial purposes.

    -The market also not called the name of whitening compared to the copper whitening in the earlier period.

    -The market in the past and present:

     A half century ago, a large part of the shops of this market specialized in the Arab and traditional blacksmithing, which depended on the methods and the blowing of the ker; the copper works, the copper tools, and the formation of the other metals, of the Armenians living in Jerusalem; sometimes known as the "copper market".

    Now there is only one shop left for copper, and the rest of the shops turned into trades and other trades.

  • Aftimos Market

    Landmark History:
    In the Ottoman era, in 1902

    Reason of the name:
    Named after the "Archimandrite Aftimus" who built it.

    Builder Name: Greek Archimandrite "Aftimos" ordered by the Greek Orthodox Patriarch Orlianos

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Located at the end of the Khan el-Zayt market and the starting point of the Attarin market and soon to Prince Frederick William Street and in the west of the Al Dibagha Church.

    -It is one of the nicest markets in Jerusalem, the market is ​​about 13 dunums, it has four entrances, all of which reach a main square in the center of which is a fountain called the Marastan Fountain, it is large and beautiful, with human and animal statues in a Greek style and shape in its estates.

    -The entrance of the northern market is characterized by a bronze arch that has three large arches, in the pre-market era, it owned as a waqf for the Islamic Bimaristan,

    It dates back to the period of Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi; the market includes one mosque -Mosque of Omar ibn al-Khattab – and four churches: the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the Church of John the Baptist, the Lutheran Church of the Fadi, and the Church of Alexander Nevsky of Russia.

    – One of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchs leaked St. John’s Monastery in this market and sold it to a settlement association, which greatly increased the percentage of the settlers.

    -As for the tanning trade which is prevalent in the market, it disappeared because of the criminal procedures of the occupation, which didn’t allow any raw materials to the market, to have no competition between the Jerusalemites and the settlers.

    After these procedures, seven shops were closed and most of the remaining shops turned to trading with tourist artifacts and spread in the market restaurants and cafes.

    -It is a property of the Orthodox Patriarchate.

    Patriarch Athanasius purchased land in 1837 from Al Alami, and then a monk named Aftimos built the market

  • Bazaar Market

    Reason of the name:
    Bazaar is a Persian word meaning market

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -The market located at the end of Aloun market, until the end of market of Mats mat Al-Lahamin.

    -One of the most beautiful and most striking markets of its paved land.

    -At the beginning of the establishment, the market was the property of the endowment of the Al Alafdalia School and Al Karimia School, and then made as waqf to the family Husseini and Jaralla.

    -It used to sell vegetables as villagers came to sell their vegetables from the outskirts of Jerusalem.

    -Now the market sells tourist products, includes everything that the tourist wants, spread the shops of the Centenary (Christian antiques), but the character of the market is characterized by the heritage of Jerusalem.

     

  • Harit Al-Nasarah Market (the Market in the Christian District)

    Reason of the name:
    Named because of its presence at the Christian District.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -It is located in the Christians District, specifically between Al-Khanqah Al-Salihah to the north and Alun market to the south.

    -The market contains shops selling candles and special dishes in the rituals of Christians and prayers and incense and accessories for the church and other tourist artifacts.

    -The market is characterized by being long, large, and paved with wonderful sidewalks, which from the basement markets and from this market starts another market towards the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

    -The market contains a large number of monasteries, Christian churches and Omar bin al-Khattab mosque.

    -It extends from Aloun market to the south to the Khanka Salalah to the north, this market has branches, branch heading towards the church and this section is covered with shops that sell candles, swimming pools, crucifixes and utensils used in prayers and religious rites.

    -The second branch begins at the exit of the Eastern Church Square, it is an open and paved market, but its length is short and not more than 200 meters.

    -It contains many monasteries and churches

    The Mosque of Omar ibn al-Khattab at the site he prayed when he visited the Church of the Resurrection falls in this market.

    -What distinguishes the market is the sale of incense to churches as well as sacred wax and many tourist artifacts.

  • Aloun Market

    Reason of the name:
    Named after Aloun bin Ibrahim Al Randy Andalusian.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Located in the neighborhood of Christians from the south of Al-Khalil gate.

    -The market extends from a parking lot that located at Jerusalem castle to the west, where the bazaar road and the Christian District bordered by the east.

    There are successive stirs in the road to the market and end to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Al-Aqsa Mosque and Al-Buraq Wall.

    -The market sells antiques, ancient Islamic monuments, and the products for tourists as the market thrives with foreigners visiting.

    -Also named a “line of David”

  • The Market of Al-Jadeed Gate

    Reason of the name:
    Named after its location near Al-Jadeed gate; one of the gates of the Old Town -

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Located between Al-Jadeed and the Casanova Hotel towards the Jerusalem Castel from the east.

    -Visitors to the Old Town can see the market from Al-Khalil Gate.

    – It’s also called Al-Jadeed market.

  • Bab Khan Al-Zayt market

    Landmark History:
    Year 737 AH - 1336 AD

    Reason of the name:
    Named after the archaeological Khan Al-Zayt

    Builder Name: Deputy Sham Prince Saif al-Din Tnkz Naciri.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Located north of the confluence of Bab al-Amud market and the Via Dolorosa, and 135 m away from the Church of the Holy Sepulcher; specifically in the eastern part of the column Al-Amoud to the end of the path of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher).

    -The market is one of the most beautiful historical markets in the walled town and similar to the Qataneen market building.

    It consists of a long street parallel to the Wad road and contains two entrances.

    -It’s across many shops that come in two rows, including a half-barrel vaulted corridor with pointed arches with ventilation holes.

    -One of its stores near the monastery of the Copts there is part of the old wall of the town.

    -300 meters from the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, which starts from the Qibli side at the Qataneen market, which leads to the church and ends at the northern end of the Bab al-Amoud market.

    -In the center of the market, we find the sixth stage of the Via Dolorosa (the pilgrimage route to the Christians) as well as the Church of the Ahbash and the prayer of Abu Bakr.

    -Bab Khan zayt Market is a commercial market is filled with shoe and clothing shops, as well as spice shops, pickles and more.

    -There are also a number of oil presses and Almassabn “soap factories”, famous for oil extraction and sale, and sale of products entered in the manufacture.

    -The market continues to function despite excavations that caused a landslide near the entrance to the market, as well as the theft of stones of the old market and replace them with new stones instead of them by the municipality of the occupation in the process of looting and falsification of the effects of the city and its history

     

  • Tareeq Al-Alam Market (Via Dolorosa market)

    Reason of the name:
    Named after the Via Dolorosa that Christians believe, Jesus peace be upon him before the crucifixion, which represents the fifth and sixth stage of the Via Dolorosa.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Between Khan Bab El Zait market and Al Wad Road Market.

    -The market contains shops specialized in the sale of religious tourism products and antiques.

    -This market is also called Oqabat Al Mufti, represents one of the roads that connect and link between the market of Khan al-Zayt and the market of Al-Wad.

    -Named Oqabat Al-Mufti after the Mufti of Palestine Haj Amin al-Husseini.

    -The market is specialized in the sale of religious tourism products and is considered a booming market for foreign tourists.

  • Harat Al Wad Market

    Reason of the name:
    Named because of presence in Al-Wad neighborhood.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Located in the south of Bab al wad and the end point at the Al-Buraq wall, intersect with the Via Dolorosa and merge with it more than 200 meters.

    -The market is one of the important markets of the Old Town and shares the Bab Khan al-Zayt market with obstacles and roads, part of which has a roof, and the rest is open, the market intersects with the Via Dolorosa and there are a number of shops seized by the Jewish settlers.

    -This market is the main road of Al-Aqsa Mosque starts from the south of Bab Al-Amoud and ends at the wall of Al-Buraq.

    -It has some important landmarks for the Christians and they set the Via Dolorosa.

    -In the pre-market era, the geography of its region was a low valley, and over time, it is filled with rocks and dust, which changed its geography.

    -The market was a meeting place for traders of wheat, rice, flour, feed, lentils and barley, with several cafes, today, it fill with shops specializing in clothing and crafts on the sides of the road.

    -As for the part of the market that merges with the Via Dolorosa, it is economically active.

  • Bab Al Amoud Market

    Reason of the name:
    Named after its location near Bab alamoud "one of the gates of the Old Town."

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    – Located at the entrance of Bab al-Amoud between Bab Khan al-Zayt in the south and Bab al-Amoud in the north.

    -The visitor arrives at the market to the alley leads in the west to the Khankh Alsalahia and from the east up to the oqbat al-Mufti, and the market contains several contemporary oil sesame, such as Al-Budairi, Sheikh Qasim and taziz and now changed their use and there are guard rooms are now shops.

  • Al-Jum’ah Market (Friday market)

    Reason of the name:
    Named after the day the market opens weekly

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Located in the middle of the old city wall on the northeast side, next to the Sultan’s Pool, which the visitor sees when entering Al-Khalil Gate from the right.

    -Since the establishment of the market is specialized in the sale of livestock and sheep, especially on Eid al-Adha, traders coming from different regions to sell their animals.

    -It was an important source of profit because it is revitalizing the city’s economy through the sale movement and long working hours that make a living on the owner.

    -After the occupation of Jerusalem, it was turned into a dump for waste, despite the great rejection of Jerusalemites of this act and thus deprived the merchants of their source of livelihood.

    The Ministry of Awqaf stated that it is fully willing to turn the place into a public park or something else for the benefit of the Jerusalemites and preserve the historical and archeological sites because the market adjoins the fence and is close to Al-Aqsa Mosque, but the occupation rejects solutions.

    -Past and present market: In the past, it was a booming market, but now it is a waste dump.

     

2
حدث في مثل هذا اليوم