Other landmarks

Al-Aqsa Mosque includes about 15 different historical landmarks classified under the title:”other landmarks”; some of them are found inside Al-Qibli Mosque, such as the Bench of Al-Mu’azineen, the
Munitions’ Room, and the Shrine of the Forty.

Some of them are roofed and distributed throughout the mosque, like the House of Hadith, the headquarters of the Zakat Committee in Jerusalem, Al-Aqsa Library, and the Museum of Antiquities.Also, there are other famous landmarks in Al-Aqsa Mosque, like the Dome of the Rock, the Cave of the Spirits, and the Tombs of Sharif Hussein bin Ali and Muhammad Ali Jawhar.

  • Pick a point from the map
  • House of Hadith

    Landmark Location: Located on the perimeter of the Eastern Al-Aqsa Mosque, closer to the north.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: Northeast of the Dome

    Reason of the name:
    Named after its use by a school to teach the Shafii fiqh.

    Details of the shape:
    -A mosque with two domes and a mihrab in the south.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Dar al-Hadith is a mosque consisting of two domes and one mihrab. It was named after its use by a school to teach the Shafi’i fiqh studies. It then was turned into a sanctum.

  • The Rock

    Landmark Location: The Rock is located at the heart of the blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: Located at the center of the Dome of the Rock, which carry its name.

    Details of the shape:
    -It is a great rock, reaching its highest spot to about eighteen meters, and the widest spot is thirteen and a half meters. It’s higher than the Rock’s nave in about 2 meters.
    -Many rumors were said about that rock, including that it was flying in the air, and some said that the water and large springs were running beneath it. Others said that it has followed the Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, when he ascended to the skies in Al-Isra’a night. This is all a mere fallacy, because it is a normal rock.
    – The building above the rock eight shape of the most beautiful built of architectural artifacts.
    -An altar built above the rock in the Crusader period.
    -Surrounded by a wooden wall dating back to the Ayyubids period.
    -A small cave called the Al Maghara is under the rock.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    The Holy Rock is a great rock, reaching its highest spot to about eighteen meters, and the widest spot is thirteen and a half meters. It’s higher than the Rock’s nave in about 2 meters .
    The rock is located at the heart of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, specifically under a Dome of the Rock, which was named after it.
    Many rumors were said about that rock, including that it was flying in the air, and some said that the water and large springs were running beneath it. Others said that it has followed the Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, when he ascended to the skies in Al-Isra’a night. This is all a mere fallacy, because it is a normal rock.
    There is a building above the octagonal rock. It is one of the most beautiful structures built of architectural artifacts where an altar erected above the rock in the Crusader period. It is surrounded by a wooden wall dating back to the Ayyubids period.
    There is a sinus in the Honorable Rock where it said that Jibril (peace be upon him) broke the rock with his finger and made this sinus, these are common myths and the truth is that the Crusaders turned the Dome of the Rock into a church when they were ruling, and turned the Rock into an altar.
    Also, they made this sinus to make the blood of the sacrifices flow into the cave.

  • Cave of the Spirits (Al Arwah)

    Landmark Location: Located in the center of Al Aqsa Mosque, exactly under the rock.

    Details of the shape:
    -It is a large irregular cave and at the top of which is a sinus about 30-40 cm in diameter.
    -It can be reached by a stairway in the south of the Dome of the Rock.
    -There are two small shrines in the cave, one dated back to the Umayyad and the other was built by the Fatimids,
    -There are a lot of myths regarding this place; like the one that said that Jibril (peace be upon him) broke the rock with his finger and made its sinus, but the truth is that this sinus dates back to the Crusader times, and was made by the Crusaders, since they turned the Dome of the Rock into a church and turned the rock into an altar.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Located in the center of Al Aqsa Mosque, exactly under the rock. It is a large irregular cave and at the top of which is a sinus about 30-40 cm in diameter. It can be reached by a stairway in the south of the Dome of the Rock.

    There are two small shrines in the cave, one dated back to the Umayyad and the other was built by the Fatimids. There are a lot of myths regarding this place; like the one that said that Jibril (peace be upon him) broke the rock with his finger and made its sinus, but the truth is that this sinus dates back to the Crusader times, and was made by the Crusaders, since they turned the Dome of the Rock into a church and turned the rock into an altar. In addition, they made this sinus to make the blood of the sacrifices flow into the cave.
    Some said that when a piece of the rock was cut, which has an older trace, and then was placed inside a separate dome in the southwestern part, this gap was formed, then the rock was formed.

  • Jerusalem’s Zakat Committee

    Landmark History:
    1988

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -The committee works under the supervision of the Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs and Holy Sites.
    -The committee aims at serving Al-Aqsa Mosque and the Faredat Hajj, Zakat, charitable work, and improving the financial resources of zakat and charity, and disbursement in its legitimate banks, at high level of workmanship.

    The projects carried out by the Committee:
    -Distributing the meat and Al Nothour 2014.
    -The Olive Project, the Zakat of Jerusalem 2014.
    -Warm Winter Project 2014.
    -Projects of Ramadan 2013.
    -Family Guarantee Project 2013.
    -Project of Al Adahi 2015.
    -Distribution of school bags.
    -Al Kafarat Distributions Project 2014 (this project targets the poor in Jerusalem).

    The committee’s members are listed below:
    -President of the Committee: Sheikh Mohammed Jumaa Suleiman.
    -Vice- President of the Committee and president of the Committee’s Sharia subcommittee: Prof. Hossam El-Din Affana.
    -Treasurer and Head of Project Management and Orphan Issues: Ashraf Salhab Al Tamimi.
    -Secretary: Mohammed Rajabi.

    Members:
    -Salah Halhuli – Businessmen in the city of Jerusalem.
    -Sheikh Riyad Khois -teacher in Al-Aqsa Mosque.
    -Dr. Ahmed Darraj – Director of Noor Al Huda Schools in Ramallah.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    The Committee is non-profit. It was established in 1988 under the supervision of Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs and Holy Sites The committee aims at serving Al-Aqsa Mosque and the “Faridat” Hajj, Zakat and charitable work, in addition improving the financial resources of zakat and charity and disbursing them to the needy, with the highest level of proficiency.

  • The Tomb of Mohammed Ali Jowhar

    Landmark Location: Next to the Khattouniya school at the western yard of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: West Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
    4-1-1931.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Birth and upbringing
    Mohammad Ali was born in 10-12-1878 in northern India. He grew up orphaned under the care of his brother Shaukat, who was named as the “Lion of India”. He studied the common sciences available at his time, and later joined University of “Alikira”. Then, he went to Britain to study in the famous Oxford University.

    -Job
    He worked in various fields, working in the education sector Rambour state, also famous in the press; he wrote his articles in Urdu and English.
    After several years of work in the newspaper “Al Rafeeq” he took over the editorial chairmanship where he assumed many political, cultural and religious responsibilities after he founded a newspaper “Hambard” Speaking Urdu, and when he returned to India he founded and established a newspaper “Comrade” which become bold in its political articles against British colonialism.

    -His struggle with British colonialism
    Muhammad Ali met many writers, politicians, and thinkers through his work. He was a supporter of the Ottoman Khaliphate, and founded with his brother the “Khaliphate Society”, which supported the Ottoman Khaliphate and its allies in 1919, and suffered greatly because of his support to the Ottoman Khaliphate. He was frequently arrested by the English (British) forces. They threatened him a lot and asked him to apologize to the British government, but he refused to do so, saying: “I would prefer imprisonment over bowing to the colonizer”.

    His character influenced by poets such as ” Mohyi al din and Mohamed Iqbal”, where he says: “I learned leadership from the literary prose of the father of poetry, the eloquent poet “Iqbal”.

    -What did Muhammad Ali add to the Palestinian and Islamic cause?
    Muhammad Ali Jowhar relinquished many friendships and high positions, and withdrew from many national political parties that have rejected many Muslim requests. He opposed many of his sectarian friends, and eventually he joined the Islamic League.
    Not only he relinquished the political and national parties, as he opposed documents that propose constitutional amendments that support the British state.
    He is known in solidarity with the Islamic community and in his opinion: “Islam does not know geographical and ethnic barriers, like the barriers erected by modern Europe and were an obstacle to social connections and the breadth of human emotions. Islam is not based on nations, rather being inclusive to all of them “.

    -His support for the Palestinian cause
    Muhammad Jowhar dedicated his time to the Palestine vector, writing many articles that criticize the western governments that advocated the Israeli occupation, and visited Jerusalem and Al-Aqsa Mosque in 1927, after being invited by the Mufti “Amin Husseini”, it was his call after the events of the revolution of Al-Buraq, which came after the desecration and Judaization of Al-Aqsa Mosque Blessed, as he prayed in the Aqsa Mosque and wrote about it, and wrote about the assertion of rights Muslims in it.

    -His works
    Muhammad Ali Jowhar published several books in English, including “The Book of Muhammad’s Life His message” and other books.

    -His death
    The leader and political journalist Mohammed Ali Jowhar died on 4/1/1931 and buried next to the Khatoun School based on his will. May Allah have mercy on him and forgive him.

  • Perchment Restoration Center

    Landmark Location: In the western gallery inside the school building Ashrafieh Mamlukia.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: West of the Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
    2008

    Reason of the name:
    It contains old manuscripts that has been restored.

    Builder Name: Islamic Endowments Department and the Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Holy Affairs in Jordan.

    Details of the shape:
    -The administrator of the center is Radwan Amro.
    -The manuscripts inside the center date back to most of the historical periods of Jerusalem. There are about 4,000 different manuscripts. It is one of the most important places that collect of manuscripts in the Levant countries, scientifically, technically and historically.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    The Manuscript Restoration Center was established in 2008. It includes about 4000 manuscripts that date back to most of the stages of civilizations that were established in Jerusalem. The administrator of the center is Radwan Amro.
    The center is located in the western hallway inside the Mamluk Ashrafieh School, and is one of the leading centers subsidiary to the Islamic Endowments Department and the Ministry of Awqaf and Affairs Islamic holy sites in Jordan.
    The manuscripts inside are among the most important manuscripts in the Levant countries historically, scientifically, and artistically.

  • Al Boraq Wall

    Landmark Location: The wall of Al-Buraq borders Al-Aqsa Mosque from the west, from an integral part of Al-Aqsa.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: West of the Dome of the Rock

    Reason of the name:
    At Al-Isra’a and Mi’raj night, prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him, was riding his animal, which name is Buraq, and then reached this wall and tied up AlBuraq to it, before he ascends to the skies, and that’s how the wall got its name.

    Details of the shape:
    -It is 50 meters long and 20 meters high.
    -Jews and some Christians claim that this wall is a remaining part of the temple that dates back to the time of prophet Suleiman, and they call it the Wailing Wall.
    -This wall is located between Almagariba gate to the south and the minaret of Bab al-Silsila to the north.
    -After the occupation of Jerusalem in 1967, the Jews removed the Islamic monuments to this part of the wall.
    -The Jews destroyed the Maghriba neighborhood adjacent to it and turned it into a square for the worshipers who come to “Wailing Wall”.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    At Al-Isra’a and Mi’raj night, prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him, was riding his animal, which name is Buraq, and then reached this wall and tied up AlBuraq to it, before he ascends to the skies, and that’s how the wall got its name. The wall of Al-Buraq borders Al-Aqsa Mosque from the west, from an integral part of Al-Aqsa. It is 50 meters long and 20 meters high.

    Jews and some Christians claim that this wall is a remaining part of the temple (AlHaikal) that dates back to the time of prophet Suleiman, and they call it the Wailing Wall, where they stand to cry over their lost reign, waiting for the opportunity to attack Al Aqsa and rebuild their Haikal,
    The truth is that Al-Aqsa Mosque was built before the coming of prophet Suleiman and that Suleiman rebuilt it as a renewal of a house devoted to the worship Allah, because he is a prophet of Allah, and he would never build or renovate a temple, or any place in which Allah is not the One who is worshipped.
    After the occupation of Jerusalem in 1967, the Jews destroyed the Islamic monuments that were on the wall.

  • Islamic museum

    Landmark Location: Located in the southwest corner of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: Southwest Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
    Founded in 1923.

    Builder Name: Established by the Supreme Islamic Council.

    Details of the shape:
    -Its originally based in the Alrebat Almansouri building.
    -The museum contains many different Islamic antiques.
    -Contains the manuscripts of the Koran, which estimated at about (650) Written Moshaf.
    -The museum recently reorganized and opened again in August 1980.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    The Islamic Museum (Mosque of Moroccans) established by the Supreme Islamic Council In 1923 year, where it initially stationed in the Alrebat Almansouri building and then transferred to its current headquarters, located at the Mosque of Moroccans in the southwestern corner of the Al-Aqsa Mosque.
    The blessed museum contains a lot of different Islamic antiques that reflect most of the popular arts that prevailed throughout the Islamic history. It contains nearly 650 manuscripts of the Qur’an.
    Moreover, there are more than 900 Mamluk documents. The museumwas recently reorganized and reopened to receive visitors again in August 1980.

  • Al-Aqsa Library

    Landmark Location: Located on the western side of Al-Aqsa Mosque

    Reason of the name:Its name came from the fact that it contains Arabic books and manuscripts.

    Details of the shape:
    -This library was opened in 1922 in the Grammar Dome.
    -The library was later transferred to Alas’ardia school north of Al-Aqsa Mosque, then to the Islamic Museum and afterwards to Alashrafieh School. It contains fourteen thousand folders in addition to Arabic books and manuscripts.
    -The library of Sheikh Khalil Khalidi and the library of Sheikh Mohammed Al-Khalili were added to it after being moved from the museum.
    -The library includes a large number of Turkish books as well as a number of newspapers and magazines.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Al-Aqsa Library was named out of the fact that it contains Arabic books and manuscripts. This library is currently located on the west of Al-Aqsa Mosque. It was opened in 1922 in the Grammar Dome, and was later moved to Alas’ardia school north of Al-Aqsa Mosque, then to the Islamic Museum and afterwards to Alashrafieh School. It contains fourteen thousand folders in addition to Arabic books and manuscripts.
    The library of Sheikh Khalil Khalidi and a library were added to it after being moved from the museum of sheikh Mohammed Al Khalili.
    The library includes a large number of Turkish books as well as a number of newspapers and magazines.

     

  • House of Public Speaking (Dar Al Khitaba)

    Landmark Location: Outside the Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Reason of the name:
    Its name came from its use as a public speaking place by preachers of the mosque in ancient times.

    Details of the shape:
    -Two rooms.
    -Accessed by a door in the southern wall of the Al-Aqsa Mosque building.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Al-Khitabah House is located outside the Al-Aqsa Mosque and was named for the fact that preachers used it for the Friday Khoutba. It consists of two rooms that were accessed through the door of the southern wall of the Al-Aqsa Mosque building.

  • The Arsenal

    Reason of the name:
    Its name came from its history, where the remnants of the rubber and live ammunition used by the forces Israeli occupation were put in it, on the day of the massacre of Al-Aqsa Mosque; 8/10/1990.

    Details of the shape:
    -It is a glass arsenal.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Its name came from its history, where the remnants of the rubber and live ammunition used by the forces Israeli occupation were put in it, on the day of the massacre of Al-Aqsa Mosque; 8/10/1990. The massacre resulted in 17 martyrs among Muslims, and 364 injured. The arsenal is located on the northeastern side of the Dome.

  • The muezzin’s bar (Dakkah)

    Landmark Location: South of Al-Aqsa Mosque, in the AL-Qibli Prayer Hall.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: South of the Dome.

    Reason of the name:
    After being seated on by the muezzin.

    Details of the shape:
    -It is a decorated marble pedestal, based on fourteen columns, beautiful crowns and good rules of industry.
    -Dakkah means the place where the muezzin sits, and calls for prayer.
    -It is located at the corner of the northwestern dome.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Dakkat Al-Muezzineen (or the muezzin's Seat) was named after its role which is to be sat on by the muezzin, to call the worshippers for prayers using Takbir. It’s a decorated marble piece that has 14 pillars holding it. It is beautiful and well-crafted. This Dakkah is beneath the corner of the northwestern dome.

  • The Shrine of the Forty

    Landmark History:
    This construction dates back to the Crusader period.

    Reason of the name:
    People named it so because they believe it’s the burial place of forty righteous men.

    Details of the shape:
    -A wide room with two entrances inside Al_Qibli complex and an entrance through Omar mosque. It is 8 meters long, 8 meters high and 5 meters wide.

    -The old chapel of al-Aqsa Mosque is located under the ground of this place, and it is a large open area. Between three of its walls is an ancient Qur’anic number that needs restoration.

    -The Shrine of the Forty is named so because people believe it’s the burial place of forty righteous men or prophets, and this is unacceptable, since the ground of this place is manmade, and beneath it is a large open area, the area of ​​the old Aqsa Mosque, in-between its three walls is an ancient Qur’anic number that needs restoration.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    This place is located on the eastern side of AL-Qibli Prayer Hall to the south of Zekaya mihrab. It was named “Al-Nazer Shrine” by the Jerusalemite historian Mujair al-Din. The place is 5 meters wide, 8 meters long, and 8 meters high.
    It is likely that the room was added during the Crusader occupation to the mosque, then the Ayyubids added a frieze around the walls of the room, showing the verses: “and to destroy what they had taken over with [total] destruction”, from Surat Al-Isra’a, in the beautiful Naskh script. This room is free from the niches.

  • Al-Khattani Library

    Landmark Location: The southern side of Al-Aqsa.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: South Dome of the Roc.

    Builder Name: Built by Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi and considered as waqf by Jalil Mujahid.

    Details of the shape:
    -South of the Mosque and can be entered from the old musallah (chapel) in Al-Aqsa Mosque.
    -In 1899, it was restored and books were added to it; linguistic references and all kinds of books, religious and secular studies. It achieves the diversity of science, culture, and knowledge in all their circumstances. The researcher and the reader may find whatever they need.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    The library is one of the offices of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, which is characterized by the existence of all kinds books of knowledge books, religious and secular studies, and various cultural and scientific collections.
    This library is located in the south of Al-Aqsa Mosque and visitors can access it from the old chapel in Al-Aqsa.
    Built by Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi and considered as waqf by Jalil Mujahid.

  • The Tomb of Sharif Hussein bin Ali

    Landmark Location: Next to the Khattouniya school at the western yard of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: West of the Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
    In 1931.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    He is Husayn ibn Ali ibn Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Mu’ayn ibn’ Awn bin Muhsin ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn’ Umar Hussein bin Abdullah bin Hassan bin Mohammed Abu Nami II bin Barakat bin Mohammed bin Barakat ibn al-Hasan ibn Ajlan bin Rumaithah ibn Muhammad Abu Nami I ibn al-Hasan ibn Ali Akbar bin Qatada bin Idris bin Mataan bin Abdul Karim bin Isa Bin Al Hussein bin Sulaiman bin Ali bin Abdullah bin Mohammed al – Thaer ibn Musa II bin Abdullah al – Rida bin Musa Al – Joun Bin Abdullah Al – Mahdah Bin Al – Hasan Al – Muthanna Bin Al Hassan Bin Ali Bin Abi Talib Hashemi Al – Qurashi.

    He was born in 1854 and his father was exiled to Istana. Sharif Hussain was with him but he returned Al-Hijaz when he was 3 years old, leader of the Great Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire specially the Union and Progress Party and the founder of the Hashemite Kingdom of Hijaz in 1916.

    In 1924, Sharif al-Husain donated about 30,000 lira gold for the reconstruction of Al-Aqsa Mosque, was it is in dire need of restoration, because of the walls and ceilings damaged and the Supreme Islamic Council reported donations, The Hashemite’s of the Aqsa Mosque saved him after the devastating earthquake of 1927.

    Before his death, he wanted to pray in the Al-Aqsa Mosque, but he passed away in Raghadan palace in Amman. His body was transferred to the Khatoon School in Al-Aqsa Mosque, in order for his commemoration to live in the place.

     

  • The cornerstone of the Dome of the Rock

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: In the Eastern Wall that is north of the dome.

    Landmark History:
    During the Umayyad era

    Details of the shape:

    It a balance is visible. The balance used to be the Umayyad Islamic State’s emblem

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    The cornerstone of the Dome of the Rock is in the Eastern Wall that is north of the dome. It dates back to the Umayyad era, where a balance is visible. The balance used to be the Umayyad Islamic State’s emblem back then.

حدث في مثل هذا اليوم

11 كانون الأول الموافق 14 ربيع الثاني تغيير


لا يوجد أحداث في مثل هذا اليوم