Public Bath Houses

 The Old Town of Jerusalem has been known for many historical buildings that meet the needs and desires of people. – The Old Town includes a number of spas used by people for bathing, such as Al-E’in and Al-Sayidah Mariam spas, These spas were built in the Mamluk and Ottoman eras.

  • Pick a point from the map
  • The Patriarch Pool and Public Bath House

    Landmark History:
     The construction of the public bath house back to the Ayyubids era, according to the documents, in the history of 545 AH / 1189 AD.

    Reason of the name:
     -Named after the Latin Patriarch who was during the Crusader occupation of the city of Jerusalem.

    Builder Name:
    - The public bath house was made waqf by Sultan Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi.
    -Named after the Latin Patriarch who was during the Crusader
    occupation of the city of Jerusalem.
    -This public bath house built in the locality of the Christians, located on the north-western hill between Al-Khalil gate and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
    - The public bath house was made waqf by Sultan Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi.
    - The construction of the public bath house back to the Ayyubids era, according to the documents, in the history of 545 AH / 1189 AD.
    - The Patriarch pool extends over an area of ​​three denims (3000 square meters) and reaches a height of about four meters.
    - Most of the visitors to the public bath house are constantly Christians are famous for the presence of Christians in it.
    -Approximately the public bath house there is a large pond, and the pond is still present in the Christian Quarter of Jerusalem.
    - Salah al-Din public bath house was made waqf on the Khanqah and the pool next to it, and rebuilt in the 10th century.
    - The pool was mentioned in the book of the "Al-Anas al Jalil" Mujair al-Din al-Hanbali in the name of the Patriarch publicbath house. He mentioned that "the sailors of the Christians collected the water obtained for the Patriarch public bath house, stopping the Khanaqah in the fifteenth century AD, some studies confirm that the pond that provided the bath with water severely neglected throughout the ages, after being of great importance in
    the old town
    - The pond named by various names such as Hezekiah's Pool, the Tower, the Holy Sepulcher and the Copts.
    - Hezekiah is one of the kings of the Jews, this name came without historical evidence, but it is a forgery of history.
    -The pool also mentioned in the Islamic Waqf papers in the name of the pool of Khanka and the Sultan.
    -Supplying the old city and Al-Aqsa Mosque with its harbor.
    - When the occupation of Jerusalem in 1967, the occupation tried to control the pool and public bath house and cause enmity between the Department of Islamic Endowments and the Qoptic Church and the Greek Orthodox Church on the ownership of the pool, but his attempts failed.
    -Then the occupation returned in 2001 to declare its attempt to develop the pond and exploit it for tourist purposes in preparation for its Judaization and seizure.
    - The Islamic Waqf Department leased it to Al-Quds University, which has been working since then to develop it and use its large area in cultural and educational goals that serve the residents of Jerusalem, the University of the Pond Water and cleaned its floor, to prevent the spread of diseases and moisture and the accumulation of waste in them.
    -Recently, Al-Quds University was assigned responsible for the archaeological Patriarch Pool and Public Bath House, after was turned to it by the Islamic Endowments Department. The University aspires to find support to develop the work of this pool and to benefit from the vast area within its borders, where it aspires to invest this area as a recreational area for children, a large theater, or a place for cinema, sports or other, but freeze all these projects to find funding covered.

  • Al-Ein Public Bath House

    Landmark History:
    In 1337, during the reign of Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qalawun, in the Mameluke period.

    Reason of the name:
     Named after a spring called Ein al-Oroub. (Ein means spring of water).

    Builder Name:
     Attributed to the Mameluke Prince Saif al-Din Tnkaz al-Nasiri, who stood him equally on the Tanzanian school and the Dome of the Rock.
    - Named after a spring called Ein al-Oroub. (Ein means spring of water)
    - The bathroom located in the market of Qatanin, specifically to the right of it from Al-Wad Road.
    - Attributed to the Mameluke Prince Saif al-Din Tnkaz al-Nasiri, who stood him equally on the Tanzanian school and the Dome of the Rock.
    - In 1337, during the reign of Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad ibn  Qalawun, in the Mameluke period.
    -  The building of the public bath house is similar to that of the Shifa Public Bath House, noting that its surface is lower than the street level.
    - A room attached to the firehouse to collect the materials that used to burn the water, and provided water from Ain al-'Arub via the al-Sabil canal.
    - It authorized to supply him with water from the wells of Al- Aqsa Mosque according to one of the legitimate arguments that deal with many administrative, financial and personnel affairs, and it stated that it reserved for women.
    - Imports reached about mid-tenth century / sixteenth century AD (16,000) coins, distributed equally between the two beneficiaries.
    - The purifying expansion of the last Al-Aqsa Mosque took place on the bulk of this historic public bath house.
    - Established as part of the Qataneen market complex and used since the Mameluke era, but abandoned 40 years ago, owned by the Nusseibeh family of Jerusalem.
    - This public bath house was abandoned for 40 years, and renovations are under way to serve as part of Al Quds
    University for cultural activities.

  • Al-Shifa’a Public Bath House

    Landmark History:
     Mameluke era - year (730 AH / 1336 AD).

    Reason of the name:
    Named Al-Shifa’s, which means “to be healed”, to believe that every patient bathe in it can be healed, God&39;s willing.

    Builder Name:
    Prince Saif al-Din Tinkz al-Nasiri, deputy of the Egyptian Sultanate in Syria.

    -Named Al-Shifa’s, which means “to be healed”, to believe that every patient bathe in it can be healed, God&39;s willing.
    - The bathroom is located in the south-eastern part of the Qattaneen market.
    - Prince Saif al-Din Tinkz al-Nasiri, deputy of the Egyptian Sultanate in Syria.
    -Mameluke era – year (730 AH / 1336 AD).
    - Apartment of Mashlah, the middle and the interior, and enter through an entrance leading to almashlah squared room, where mediated by a marble water basin octagonal shape, to give the eastern and western sides and southern terraces to sit Bathers.
    - Its roof covered with a fan vault a narrow second passageway leads us to the middle room, which has a shallow dome interspersed with glass-covered openings to allow light to enter and not to let out heat.
    - The sides of the room surrounded by stone terraces where the bathers sit while preparing their bodies to withstand the heat in the interior.
    - The third section of the bathroom (Jowani / House of Fire), it divided into three sections; the first is for hot water collectors for the entrants; the second for the three bathing rooms and the third for the bath.
    - The rooms and the bathtub covered with shallow domes with glass-covered glass openings, and the house of fire needed to heat the water (burner) at the back.
    - The records of the Sharia Court in Jerusalem and the book of Ottoman taboos filled with documents dealing with the affairs of this important historical landmark, the affairs of the Awqaf and its employees, in the tenth century AH / AD 16th century, there were about 4000 engravings (Ottoman coin).
    -Today, it not used, documenting the revival of heritage and Islamic research documents that show the role of the Supreme Islamic Council in the care and reconstruction of this bathroom and the organization of leases.
    - It is the owned by Islamic Waqf, and run by Subhi al- Sayuri and his sons until it closed, it is now part of Al-
    Quds University.

  • Maryam Public Bath House (Bab Alasbat Public Bath House )

    Landmark History:
    Built in the Ottoman era in the tenth century AH / 16 AD.

    Reason of the name:
    - It believed that Mary bathed with it, so women who do not have children come to him to ask for the virgin Maryam blessing as they think and give the bath candles, oil and roses and other things, and this is no evidence of health and is a popular novels.
    - It was believed that Mary had a bath in it, so women who do not have children come to him to ask for the virgin Maryam blessing as they think and give the bath candles, oil and roses and other things, and this is no evidence of health and is a popular novels.
    - Located at the first Al-Laqlaq road on the north side of the Mujahideen Road or the "Stanna Maryam" road in harat Hatta at Bab Alasbat.
    - Adjacent to the church of Saint Hina, the mother of the Virgin (Al Salahia School).
    - Built in the Ottoman era in the tenth century AH / 16 AD.
    - It believed that Mary bathed with it, so women who do not have children come to him to ask for the virgin Maryam blessing as they think and give the bath candles, oil and roses and other things, and this is no evidence of health and is a popular novels.
    - This bathroom was owned by the Islamic Waqf, which turned it
    to the Greek Orthodox Church.
    -The bathroom has been rented to Faris Saad until it closed in the past years, then rented out to the Arabian Hotels Company.
    -Before it was closed, this public bath house had two time shifts, one for women and another for men, and had an important role in the social life of the residents of Jerusalem, where they met to drink cold drinks and coffee, and to strengthen their social ties.
    -The water supplied to this bathroom came from Alsabeel canal, which carries water through channels, from the south of Bethlehem, and fed in addition to the St. Maryam Way, one of the basins built by Sultan Suleiman Al-Qanoni.
    - The bathroom is located in Basin 57 in Plot 6.

2
حدث في مثل هذا اليوم

29 كانون الثاني الموافق 4 جمادى الآخرة تغيير