Springs

– A spring is a water hole attached to a number of taps, which are built during the rule of Muslims over Jerusalem City and Al-Aqsa Mosque, especially during the Mamluk and Ayyubids eras.
– In Al-Aqsa Mosque, there are nearly 16 spings; the most famous is: the AlKaas and Qaitbay springs.
– Some of them are exposed and can store rainwater. Some springs are used for drinking and ablution, and many of them were renovated by the Ottoman Empire and recently by the Reconstruction Committees.

  • Pick a point from the map
  • Bab Al-Rahma Spring

    Landmark Location 
    Western side of Bab Al-Rahma, in front of Al-Ahmadia schools’ stair in the eastern side of Al-Aqsa mosque.

    Relative to Dome of the rock: The southern western side of the dome of the rock ( Qubbat AL-Sakhra ).

    Landmark History:
     In september 1416 AH 1995 AD.

    Reason of the name:
    Relative to its location.

    Builder Name:
     Islamic Heritage Committee.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Reason of its name is because of its location, which is located in the western side of Bab Al-Rahma and Al-Tawba in front of Al-Ahmadia schools’ stair in the eastern side of AL-Aqsa mosque, the southern western side of the dome of the rock ( Qubbat Al-Sakhra ), constructed by the Islamic Heritage Committee, in september 1416 AH 1995 AD

  • Bab Al-Asbat minaret spring

    Landmark Location:
    Eastern of Bab Al-asbat minaret, northern of Al-Aqsa mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
     Eastern of Bab Al-asbat minaret, northern of Al-Aqsa mosque.

    Details of the shape:
    4 faucets based on a mystical framework.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    It is located in the eastern of Bab AL-Asbat minaret, northern of Al-Aqsa mosque, and northwest the holy rock, it has 4 faucets that is based on a mystical framework.

  • Bab Hatta spring

    Landmark Location:
     It is located in the left side of the leading stair to Bab Hatta lavatory. The northern of Al-Aqsa mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
    The northern of Qubbat Al-Sakhra ( dome of the rock ).

    Landmark History:
    The Ottoman era.

    Reason of the name: Because of its presence in the eastern side of the wall of Bab Hatta.

    Builder Name:
    The Ottomans, It was restored by Al Aqsa Foundation for the Reconstruction of Holy Sites

    Details of the shape:
    A simple spring of making a tapered necklace covering the basin of the spring and above the arch is the decoration of the Persians, which characterize the Ottoman buildings.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -Ali Jarallah, the son of the Mufti of Jerusalem, stopped the spring in 1060 AH / 1650 AD, where there are many properties belonging to the family of Jarallah between the gates of Hatta and honor of the prophets.

    -Was renovated by Al-Aqsa Foundation for the Reconstruction of Islamic Holy Sites during its construction of the nearby latrine unit and was later abolished.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Because of its presence in the eastern side of the wall of Bab Hatta it was called Bab Hatta spring. It is located in the left side of the leading stair to Bab Hatta lavatory.

    - The northern of Al-Aqsa mosque. It was constructed in The Ottomans era, It was restored by Al Aqsa Foundation for the Reconstruction of Holy Sites.Was renovated by Al-Aqsa Foundation for the Reconstruction of Islamic Holy Sites during its construction of the nearby latrine unit and was later abolished.

    - A simple spring of making a tapered necklace covering the basin of the spring and above the arch is the decoration of the Persians, which characterize the Ottoman buildings.
    - Ali Jarallah, the son of the Mufti of Jerusalem, stopped the spring in 1060 AH / 1650 AD, where there are many properties belonging to the family of Jarallah between the gates of Hatta and honor of the prophets.

     

  • Sulieman Al-Qanouni spring

    Landmark Location:
    About 20 meters from Bab Faisal near the Dome of the Prophet's lovers”Qubbat Oshaq Al-Nabi” , on the northern side of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
    North West the Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
     The Ottoman period.

    Reason of the name:
     Relative to Sulieman Al-Qanouni who ordered the construction of the spring.

    Builder Name:
    Sulieman Al-Qanouni.

    Details of the shape:
    -The facade of the spring and its decoration is similar to  the door of the chain spring “ Bab Al-Silsila “ and other springs of Sultan Suleiman, where scattered in the ancient city and around it.

    -In the center of the spring and above the basin is a plaque engraving the titles of Sultan Suleiman Al-Qanouni who ordered the construction of the spring. There is a small marble plate above the previous painting with two lines in the Ottoman language and in very small letters and the inscription is used to reconstruct this spring later.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -There is a terrace directly behind the spring, so that the rear facade of the avenue is a mihrab ” niche” of this mausoleum and above the mihrab “niche ” there is a renewal painting of it, by order of Sultan Suleiman Al-Qanouni.

    -The spring was supplied through the canal that transported water from Sulieman’s pond to Jerusalem. But, the spring is disabled now.

    In 1418 AH / 1997 AD. A place of ablution was built around the spring of Suleiman, consisting of 34 faucet with stone benches.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Relative to Sulieman Al-Qanouni who ordered the construction of the spring. About 20 meters from Bab Faisal near the Dome of the Prophet’s lovers”Qubbat Oshaq Al-Nabi” , on the northern side of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    -  North West the Dome of the Rock. The facade of the spring  and its decoration is similar to  the door of the chain spring “ Bab Al-Silsila “ and other springs of Sultan Suleiman, where scattered in the ancient city and around it.

    - In the center of the spring and above the basin is a plaque engraving the titles of Sultan Suleiman Al-Qanouni who ordered the construction of the spring. There is a small marble plate above the previous painting with two lines in the Ottoman language and in very small letters and the inscription is used to reconstruct this spring later. There is a terrace directly behind the spring, so that the rear facade of the avenue is a mihrab ” niche” of this mausoleum and above the mihrab “niche ” there is a renewal painting of it, by order of Sultan Suleiman Al-Qanouni.

    - The spring was supplied through the canal that transported water from Sulieman’s pond to Jerusalem. But, the spring is disabled now.
     In 1418 AH / 1997 AD. A place of ablution was built around the spring of Suleiman, consisting of 34 faucet with stone benches.

     

  • Al-basiri ( Ibrahim Al-roumi ) spring

    Landmark Location:
    Eastern of Bab Al-Nathir, western of Al-Aqsa mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: Southeast of Qubbat Al-Sakhra “ dome of the rock”

    Landmark History:
    It was repaired in 839 AH 1435 AD.

    Reason of the name:
     Relative to Alaa Al-Din AL-Basiri, who constructed it, and the name of the spring is attributed to Ibrahim Al-Roumi who repaired it.

    Details of the shape:
    -Is a square-shaped building with a length of three and a half meters. Each side has a large window with an iron railing on it. The eastern window is used as an entrance to the spring. It ascends two steps and there is an opening for the well in the middle of the spring.
    -It seems that the style of the building of the spring;  where the decoration of the Persians teeth, on the upper edge, from the shallow (low and without a neck) that do not resemble Mamluk domes, that it was rebuilt in the Ottoman era.
    -Interestingly, it was stated in the inscription: that the builder Haj Ibrahim Al-Roumi wanted to let poor people to drink  from the well, and it is not permissible for anyone who wants to fill his bottle (for the purpose of selling water) to use the well.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Relative to Alaa Al-Din AL-Basiri, who constructed it, and the name of the spring is attributed to Ibrahim Al-Roumi who repaired it. Eastern of Bab Al-Nathir,  western of Al-Aqsa mosque. Southeast of Qubbat Al-Sakhra “ dome of the rock” It was constructed by Alaa AL-Din Al-basiri, and repaired by Ibrahim AL-roumi. It was repaired in 839 AH 1435 AD. It Is a square-shaped building with a length of three and a half meters. Each side has a large window with an iron railing on it. The eastern window is used as an entrance to the spring. It ascends two steps and there is an opening for the well in the middle of the spring.

    It seems that the style of the building of the spring;  where the decoration of the Persians teeth, on the upper edge, from the shallow (low and without a neck) that do not resemble Mamluk domes, that it was rebuilt in the Ottoman era.
    Interestingly, it was stated in the inscription: that the builder Haj Ibrahim Al-Roumi wanted to let poor people to drink  from the well, and it is not permissible for anyone who wants to fill his bottle (for the purpose of selling water) to use the well.

  • Al-Shaikh Al-Bderi ( Mustafa Agha ) Spring

    Landmark Location:
    The spring is located about 20 meters southeast of Bab al-Nazer, west of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
     Southwest Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
    1153 AH 1740 AD.

    Reason of the name:
     Relative to its constructor Mustafa Agha, and Al-Bderi, because Al-Shaikh Mohammed Bdeir, built it later, or maybe just because the spring is located in the face of Al-Shaikh Bder’s home and his mausoleum. 

    Builder Name:
    Mustafa Agha with an order from the governor “ Osman Bey Al-Faqari”.

    Details of the shape:
    -It is the construction of the base box with one and a half length meter, and a height of 4 meters.
    -The spring is joined by a balcony of the same name. There are two stairs for the person who wants to climb to the basin where he used to get water through the waterer . He used to bring the water to the spring for 24 loaves of bread.
    -Above the base are four short columns of ornate marble, And the northern, western and southern front facade are open and each has an iron railing with a hole to fill the cup from the basin.
    -The fourth area is the east is a stone wall, on the roof of the spring a stone dome, and in the east wall closed at a height of about two meters above the mastaba, a 62 * 40 cm panel with seven lines of poetry in a text hand“ Naskh”  in small letters and through the text poetic description of the spring, that its water heals the echo.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -The spring is disabled now.

    About the landmark:
    - Relative to its constructor Mustafa Agha, and Al-Bderi, because Al-Shaikh Mohammed Bdeir, built it later, or maybe just because the spring is located in the face of Al-Shaikh Bder’s home and his mausoleum. The spring is located about 20 meters southeast of Bab al-Nazer, west of Al-Aqsa Mosque. Mustafa Agha with an order from the governor “ Osman Bey Al-Faqari” 1153 AH 1740 AD . It is the construction of the base box with one and a half length meter, and a height of 4 meters.
    - The spring is joined by a balcony of the same name. There are two stairs for the person who wants to climb to the basin where he used to get water through the waterer . He used to bring the water to the spring for 24 loaves of bread. Above the base are four short columns of ornate marble. And the northern, western and southern front facade are open and each has an iron railing with a hole to fill the cup from the basin. The fourth area is the east is a stone wall, on the roof of the spring a stone dome, and in the east wall closed at a height of about two meters above the mastaba, a 62 * 40 cm panel with seven lines of poetry in a text hand“ Naskh”  in small letters and through the text poetic description of the spring, that its water heals the echo.

  • Shalaan spring

    Landmark Location:
     Below the staircase of the North Western pillars leading to the Dome of the Rock bowl off the door of the beholder west of Al Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
    The Western of the Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
    In the Ayyubid period (613 Hijri AD 1216) and was renewed in the Mamluk period (832 AH / 1429) and then the Ottoman.

    Reason of the name:
    In relation to the family of Shaalan, whose sons took the job of watering in this spring, and Ibrahim Bin Shalaan was one of them.

    Builder Name:
    The spring was established by Muhammad ibn Erwa al-Musli in 613 AH 1216 AD during the time of King Issa al-Ayyubi.
    And then renewed in the Mamluk era in the time of Ashraf Barbesai in 832 AH / 1429 by the head of the Al-Aqsa Mosque Shaheen Al-Shuja'i. It was renovated in the Ottoman period by Pirm Pasha, governor of Egypt under the supervision of the governor of Jerusalem, Mohammed Basha.

    Details of the shape:
    -On the interface of the road are three paintings of the first inscription from the left, indicating the Ayyubid construction and the right panel to the Ottoman renovation.
    -The spring was supplied from the Erwa well under the door. The well is located inside a registration room, a small room topped by a beautiful stone dome.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    - The presence of three engravings shows the greatness of this spring and its importance and is located in front of the door of the beholder one of the main doors of the Al-Aqsa Mosque where the seat of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques.
    -It is interesting that the spring was not named by people in the name of the kings and princes who lived but was in the name of the family Shaalan, whose sons took the job of watering in this spring, Ibrahim bin Shaalan. However, the spring was until the last era of the British occupation, but today it is disabled.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    - Below the staircase of the North Western pillars leading to the Dome of the Rock bowl off the door of the beholder west of Al Aqsa Mosque.

    - The spring was established by Muhammad ibn Erwa al-Musli in 613 AH 1216 AD during the time of King Issa al-Ayyubi. And then renewed in the Mamluk era in the time of Ashraf Barbesai in 832 AH / 1429 by the head of the Al-Aqsa Mosque Shaheen Al-Shuja’i. It was renovated in the Ottoman period by Pirm Pasha, governor of Egypt under the supervision of the governor of Jerusalem, Mohammed Basha.
    In the Ayyubid period (613 Hijri AD 1216) and was renewed in the Mamluk period (832 AH / 1429) and then the Ottoman. On the interface of the road are three paintings of the first inscription from the left, indicating the Ayyubid construction and the right panel to the Ottoman renovation.

    - The spring was supplied from the Erwa well under the door. The well is located inside a registration room, a small room topped by a beautiful stone dome.
    The presence of three engravings shows the greatness of this spring and its importance and is located in front of the door of the beholder one of the main doors of the Al-Aqsa Mosque where the seat of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques.
    It is interesting that the spring was not named by people in the name of the kings and princes who lived but was in the name of the family Shaalan, whose sons took the job of watering in this spring, Ibrahim bin Shaalan. However, the spring was until the last era of the British occupation, but today it is disabled.

  • Qayt Bay spring

    Landmark Location:
    In the face of Bab Al-Mtahra next to the road leading to the western staircase to the
    rock.Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
     In the western side of Qubbat Al-Sakhra, dome of the rock.

    Landmark History:
    In the Mamluk period in AH 859 / AD 1455, the building was rebuilt in 887 AH / 1482 AD. The building was renewed in 1300 AH / 1882 AD

    Reason of the name:
     In relation to the Mamluk Sultan, Ashraf Qaitbay, who ordered the rebuilding of the spring.

    Builder Name: The Mamluk sultan, Inal Sabila, was rebuilt by the Mamluk Sultan Al-Ashraf Qaitbay. Then the new spring in the era of the Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid II.

    Details of the shape:
    -High and beautiful, height of 13 meters and the width of the base square 4.5 meters opened three large windows to provide water as it ascends to degrees and on the west side is the door of the spring.
    -It was used in the construction of colored stones in what is known as Al-Mashhar or Al-Ablaq. It has a beautiful stone dome decorated with floral motifs from the outside. It is the only one in Al-Aqsa Mosque, which is decorated from the outside.
    -One of its aesthetics is the fact that it did not move from square to dome directly in contrast to the shallow Ottoman domes, from square shape to triangles.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -On the spring there is a large terrace with a stone niche dating back to the Mamluk period.
    -Below the spring there is a large well-watered well that extends to the western gallery of Al-Aqsa length of 28 meters and width 6 meters and depth of 11 meters and a half meters.
    -There is an exquisite book that chronicles the sultans who live the way and explains the purpose of building the spring and a verse of the Holy Quran.
    -In 140 AH / 1981 AD. Zionist excavations were found stretching from west to east under Bab Al-mtahar and implemented to the well for a length of more than 25 meters inside the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque and not separated only a few meters from the Dome of the Rock in Al-Aqsa Mosque and still pass through two sets of faucets In its southern and northern regions.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    It is In the face of Bab Al-Mtahra next to the road leading to the western staircase to the rock. In the western side of Qubbat Al-Sakhra, dome of the rock. The Mamluk sultan, Inal Sabila, was rebuilt by the Mamluk Sultan Al-Ashraf Qaitbay. Then the new spring in the era of the Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid II. In the Mamluk period in AH 859 / AD 1455, the building was rebuilt in 887 AH / 1482 AD. The building was renewed in 1300 AH / 1882 AD
    High and beautiful, height of 13 meters and the width of the base square 4.5 meters opened three large windows to provide water as it ascends to degrees and on the west side is the door of the spring.
    It was used in the construction of colored stones in what is known as Al-Mashhar or Al-Ablaq. It has a beautiful stone dome decorated with floral motifs from the outside. It is the only one in Al-Aqsa Mosque, which is decorated from the outside. One of its aesthetics is the fact that it did not move from square to dome directly in contrast to the shallow Ottoman domes, from square shape to triangles. On the spring there is a large terrace with a stone niche dating back to the Mamluk period. Below the spring there is a large well-watered well that extends to the western gallery of Al-Aqsa length of 28 meters and width 6 meters and depth of 11 meters and a half meters. There is an exquisite book that chronicles the sultans who live the way and explains the purpose of building the spring and a verse of the Holy Quran. In 140 AH / 1981 AD. Zionist excavations were found stretching from west to east under Bab Al-mtahar and implemented to the well for a length of more than 25 meters inside the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque and not separated only a few meters from the Dome of the Rock in Al-Aqsa Mosque and still pass through two sets of faucets In its southern and northern regions.

  • Qasem Basha spring Bab Al-Mahkmeh spring

    Landmark Location:
    East of Al-Ashrafieh school, and south of the pind of Narang in the western side of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
    Southwest Qubbat Al-Sakhra “ Dome of the Rock”.

    Landmark History:
    933 AH 1527 AD
    . In the Ottoman era.

    Reason of the name:
    Renovated and reconstructed by the governor of Jerusalem Qasim Basha.

    Builder Name:
    Renovated and reconstructed by the governor of Jerusalem Qasim Basha, in the reign of Sultan Suleiman Al-Qanouni.

    Details of the shape:
    -The spring is octagonal, topped by a dome shaped like a helmet. It consist of sixteen faucets, which drop about 1.43 meters from the mosque, so that the water of the channel coming from under Bab Al-Silsila, flows into its reservoir and descends to the faucets of the spring through four degrees from its eight sides.
    - Lead covered wood prevents sunlight to reach people in the summer and winter rains.
    -It is likely that the spring was built at the site of Fesqiyah, which was established by the Mamluk Sultan Qaitbay, south of Qaitbay terrace spring, as mentioned by Mujair Al-Din.

    Additional Information about the landmark:
    -This was confirmed by Muhammad ibn Khudr al-Roumi dated 982 AH / 1574AD, who lived in the beginning of the Ottoman era in saying: There are also two springs towards the Al-Ashrafiyya school, which is attributed to the late Sultan Qaitbay, one is  for Al-Hanafyah and the other is for Al-Shafeyah.
    -We understand from the view of Al-Rumi that the spring of Qaitbay was the wudoo ‘of Al-Shafi’iyah (the Mamluk state doctrine). Al-Fesqiyah spring Qasem basha later, was the wudoo’ of Al-Hanafyah ( The ottoman state doctrine).
    -Providing the spring through the channel of the spring from Sulieman’s ponds until the British Mandate period, and then became supplied with water from the sewage pipes.
    -The spring was repaired in 1418H (1997 AD).

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Relative to the renovated and reconstructed Qasim Basha, and is called Bab Al-Makhmeh spring relative to Bab Al-Silsila spring that is located near it. It is located in the east of Al-Ashrafieh school, and south of the pind of Narang in the western side of Al-Aqsa Mosque, and southwest Qubbat Al-Sakhra “ Dome of the Rock”. It was renovated and reconstructed by the governor of Jerusalem Qasim Basha, in the reign of Sultan Suleiman Al-Qanouni, in 933 AH 1527 AD. In the Ottoman era. The spring is octagonal, topped by a dome shaped like a helmet. It consist of sixteen faucets, which drop about 1.43 meters from the mosque, so that the water of the channel coming from under Bab Al-Silsila, flows into its reservoir and descends to the faucets of the spring through four degrees from its eight sides. Lead-covered wood prevents sunlight to reach people in the summer and winter rains.
    It is likely that the spring was built at the site of Fesqiyah, which was established by the Mamluk Sultan Qaitbay, south of Qaitbay terrace spring, as mentioned by Mujair Al-Din. This was confirmed by Muhammad ibn Khudr al-Roumi dated 982 AH / 1574AD, who lived in the beginning of the Ottoman era in saying: There are also two springs towards the Al-Ashrafiyya school, which is attributed to the late Sultan Qaitbay, one is  for Al-Hanafyah and the other is for Al-Shafeyah.
    We understand from the view of Al-Rumi that the spring of Qaitbay was the wudoo ‘of Al-Shafi’iyah (the Mamluk state doctrine). Al-Fesqiyah spring Qasem basha later, was the wudoo’ of Al-Hanafyah ( The ottoman state doctrine).
    Providing the spring through the channel of the spring from Sulieman’s ponds until the British Mandate period, and then became supplied with water from the sewage pipes. The spring was repaired in 1418H (1997 AD).

  • Bab Al-Mgharba spring

    Landmark Location:
    The eastern of Bab Al-Mgharba, the northern of Al-Mgharba mosque, in the western side of AL-Aqsa mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
    The southwest side of the Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
    The begging of the Ottoman Era.

    Reason of the name:
     Because of its location, the eastern of Bab Al-Mgharaba.

    Builder Name: The Ottomans

    Details of the shape:
    The spring consists of the construction of a square length of about 3.5 m wide open in each of its western and southern sides and the northern window for watering, while the eastern section of the door to climb a stairway. The well is located in the center of the spring and is topped by an Ottoman shallow dome. And it is similar to the spring of Ibrahim al-Roumi.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    It was called because of its location, the eastern of Bab Al-Mgharaba. It  was built in the beginning of the Ottoman Era.
    The eastern of Bab Al-Mgharba, the northern of Al-Mgharba mosque, in the western side of AL-Aqsa mosque. The southwest side of the Dome of the Rock. The spring consists of the construction of a square length of about 3.5 m wide open in each of its western and southern sides and the northern window for watering, while the eastern section of the door to climb a stairway. The well is located in the center of the spring and is topped by an Ottoman shallow dome. And it is similar to the spring of Ibrahim al-Roumi.

  • Doubled terrace spring

    Landmark Location:
    In the southern side of Al-Aqsa between the two terraces.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
     
    Southwest of Qubbat Al-Sakhra, “dome of the rock”.

    Landmark History:
     
    Was constructed in the new era.

    Reason of the name:
     Relative to its location between the two terraces.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    - It is located in the southern side of Al-Aqsa between the two terraces, Southwest of Qubbat Al-Sakhra, “dome of the rock”.
    - It’s name relative to its location between the two terraces, in the southern side of AL-Aqsa between the two terraces, southwest of qubbat Al-sakhra, “ dome of the rock”, it was constructed in the new era.

  • The cup spring Mayda’at Al-Kaas

    Landmark Location: Is located in front of Al-Qibli Mosque in the middle of the distance between it and the southern pillars leading to the Dome of the Rock; the southern side of Al-Aqsa Mosque. 

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
    The southern of Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History:
    737 AH. 1339 AD
    . in the Mamluk era. 

    Reason of the name:
    The cup spring Mayda’at Al-Kaas ( place of ablution; The place where people do wudoo 'in preparation for prayer Al-Kaas spring. Called Al-Kaas spring because of its shape; which looks like a cup. Also, It has other names, such as: “ Blessing”.

    Builder Name:
     The Nazarene

    Details of the shape:
    -It consists of a circular pond with a cup in its center, from which the water flows into the pond. It pours from the cup to the pond, beautifully, and then from the pool to the taps; 20 tap.
    -People spring of the cup for wudoo’; ( ablution) in particular, where they come down to the beautiful stone chairs, with several degrees.

    The history of the spring:
    -The oldest mention of the cup spring dates back to 737 AH / 1339 AD in the Mamluk period, where the traveler Khalid bin Issa al-Balawi recalled during his visit, saying: “In this bowl, a water tank comes from an arduous distance, and a faraway camouflage from the ground. Its’ mountains were cut off, and the great rocks were cracked with hard money and heavy hands, until the water poured on Al-Aqsa Mosque and it was crushed and spilled which led to a (pool or basin) of a large marble in front of the Great Mosque in the middle of which a sparkling water. It is clear from the description of Balawi that the spring of the cup returned by the water channel.”
    -Many of Al-Aqsa landmarks’ books attribute the construction of the spring to the great Ayyubid sultan, Salah Al-Din’s brother, 589 AH. 1193 AD. and was reestablished in the time of Al-Mamluk prince The Nazarene.
    However, we do not find any historical indication of the attribution the cup to the Ayyubids. To discuss this, see the text of the historian Majier al-Din: al-Nasseri, who crossed the water channel to the city of Al-Quds Al-Sharif ( Jerusalem ), the beginning of its architecture in Shawwal, twenty-seven and seven hundred,  arrived in Al-Quds Al-Sharif ( Jerusalem)  and entered the center of al-Aqsa Mosque in late spring, twenty-eight and seven hundred and worked the marble pond between rock and Al-Aqsa to Al-Sabil ( the spring ), the cup is related to the spring channel. The history books did not mention Adel al-Ayoubi as a constructor of the spring channel. Majier al-Dins text tells us that Al-Nasri made the marble pond, not constructing it, because if he constructed it, we would say that he did so after a damage, but what did he mean by “ constructing “ is “ making “; “ working” . However, in another text, Ibn Katheer mentioned the time of the pond construction with an order from Al-Nasri :” in the late month of march, the channel reached Jerusalem who ordered its construction and establishment, Al-Nasri, he did so with the governors of those areas; muslims were happy, it even reached Al-Aqsa mosque beach, which caused a huge pond; it is, however, a marble between the rock and Al-Aqsa, its construction begun at the month of Shawwal in the last year.”

    -The Ottoman Era:
    Al-Kaas spring was renewed in the time of the Ottoman Sultan “ Sulieman Al-qanouni”, as the traveler Olia Jalabi mintioned in his book “sayiaihtinamuh”: “ The steps then proceed directly towards a large water basin built of marble, cut from one block according to the Sultan’s own instructions. It is a unique and unmatched landmark on the ground.”

    -The History of the Spring summary:
    Based on the testimonies of historians and travelers, which indicate that the spring when Tankz Al-Nasri built was a basin (or pond – as mentioned Majier Al-Din) and that Sulieman added the cup “ Al-Kaas” from which the water goes out of the basin of one piece of marble – as we see until today. In addition, the spring remained a large basin Water drink directly from visitors. The excess water from the cup “ Al-Kaas”  basin passed through a ground channel to the nearby lake well, As Abdul Ghani Nabulsi pointed out, “We found the cup in front of the doors of Al-Aqsa Mosque, a large marble cupboard, five cubits deep in five arms, in a fountain in the center of the large, And it is poured into the sinks around it and being a large tank in the land of the mosque about forty cubits and width as well, and has four mouths built with stones – to extract water with buckets – in the form of humans »| In 1340 AH / 1922, the Supreme Islamic Council decided to put Darbizin “ fences “ around the pond to prevent tampering with the abusers and then renewed the stone chairs around him and worked taps for ablution.

    Sheikh Raed Salah, head of the Islamic Movement in Palestine 48, Sheikh al-Aqsa Mosque, said that the excavations of the Zionists in the vicinity of Al- Aqsa Mosque and below it reached under this cup “ Al-Kaas” , which indicates that it reached a dangerous stage that threatens the heart of Al-Aqsa Mosque; and not only external parts.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    The cup spring or Mayda’at Al-kaas spring. It is located in front of Al-Qibli Mosque in the middle of the distance between it and the southern pillars leading to the Dome of the Rock; the southern side of Al-Aqsa Mosque. It was named the cup; because of its shape; which looks like a cup. Also, It has other names, such as: “ Blessing”. Tnkz Al-Nasri built it in 737 AH – 1339 AD. in the Mamluk Era. It consists of a circular pond with a cup in its center, from which the water flows into the pond. It pours from the cup to the pond, beautifully, and then from the pool to the taps; 20 tap. People spring of the cup for wudoo’; ( ablution) in particular, where they come down to the beautiful stone chairs, with several degrees.

    The history of the spring:
    The oldest mention of the cup spring dates back to 737 AH / 1339 AD in the Mamluk period, where the traveler Khalid bin Issa al-Balawi recalled during his visit, saying: “In this bowl, a water tank comes from an arduous distance, and a faraway camouflage from the ground. Its’ mountains were cut off, and the great rocks were cracked with hard money and heavy hands, until the water poured on Al-Aqsa Mosque and it was crushed and spilled which led to a (pond or basin) of a large marble in front of the Great Mosque in the middle of which a sparkling water. It is clear from the description of Balawi that the spring of the cup returned by the water channel.”
    Many of Al-Aqsa landmarks’ books attribute the construction of the spring to the great Ayyubid sultan, Salah Al-Din’s brother, 589 AH. 1193 AD. and was reestablished in the time of Al-Mamluk prince The Nazarene.

    However, we do not find any historical indication of the attribution the cup to the Ayyubids. To discuss this, see the text of the historian Majier al-Din: al-Nasseri, who crossed the water channel to the city of Al-Quds Al-Sharif ( Jerusalem ), the beginning of its architecture in Shawwal, twenty-seven and seven hundred,  arrived in Al-Quds Al-Sharif ( Jerusalem)  and entered the center of al-Aqsa Mosque in late spring, twenty-eight and seven hundred and worked the marble pond between rock and Al-Aqsa to Al-Sabil ( the spring ), the cup is related to the spring channel. The history books did not mention Adel al-Ayoubi as a constructor of the spring channel. Majier al-Dins text tells us that Al-Nasri made the marble pond, not constructing it, because if he constructed it, we would say that he did so after a damage, but what did he mean by “ constructing “ is “ making “; “ working” . However, in another text, Ibn Katheer mentioned the time of the pond construction with an order from Al-Nasri :” in the late month of march, the channel reached Jerusalem who ordered its construction and establishment, Al-Nasri, he did so with the governors of those areas; muslims were happy, it even reached Al-Aqsa mosque beach, which caused a huge pond; it is, however, a marble between the rock and Al-Aqsa, its construction begun at the month of Shawwal in the last year.”

    – Al-Kaas spring was renewed in the time of the Ottoman Sultan “ Sulieman Al-qanouni”, as the traveler Olia Jalabi mentioned in his book “sayiaihtinamuh”: “ The steps then proceed directly towards a large water basin built of marble, cut from one block according to the Sultan’s own instructions. It is a unique and unmatched landmark on the ground.”

    -Based on the testimonies of historians and travelers, which indicate that the spring when Tankz Al-Nasri built was a basin (or pond – as mentioned Majier Al-Din) and that Sulieman added the cup “ Al-Kaas” from which the water goes out of the basin of one piece of marble – as we see until today.
    - In addition, the spring remained a large basin Water drink directly from visitors. The excess water from the cup “ Al-Kaas”  basin passed through a ground channel to the nearby lake well, As Abdul Ghani Nabulsi pointed out, “We found the cup in front of the doors of Al-Aqsa Mosque, a large marble cupboard, five cubits deep in five arms, in a fountain in the center of the large, And it is poured into the sinks around it and being a large tank in the land of the mosque about forty cubits and width as well, and has four mouths built with stones – to extract water with buckets – in the form of humans »| In 1340 AH / 1922, the Supreme Islamic Council decided to put Darbizin “ fences “ around the pond to prevent tampering with the abusers and then renewed the stone chairs around him and worked taps for ablution.

    -Sheikh Raed Salah, head of the Islamic Movement in Palestine 48, Sheikh al-Aqsa Mosque, said that the excavations of the Zionists in the vicinity of Al- Aqsa Mosque and below it reached under this cup “ Al-Kaas” , which indicates that it reached a dangerous stage that threatens the heart of Al-Aqsa Mosque; and not only external parts

  • AL-Zaytona spring

    Landmark Location:
     
    The southern side of Al-Aqsa mosque, the northern of Al-Kaas spring.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
    The southern western side of Qubbat Al-Sakhra ( dome of the rock )

    Landmark History:
    In the new era.

    Reason of the name:
    Relative to the olive tree which is located in the center of the spring, surrounded by taps.

    Details of the shape:
    There is an ancient olive tree in the site of the spring, in the Ottoman period, called Al- Zaytouna of the Prophet ,and its olive tree where the folk tale tells that the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, planted it. It is mentioned that at the beginning of the last century, the sheens of the prophet Moses season were around that tree.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Reltive to the olive tree which is located in the center of the spting, surrrouned by taps, it is in the southern side of Al-Aqsa mosque, there is an ancient olive tree in the site of the spring, in the ottoman period, called Al-Zaytouna o th prophet, and its olive tree where the folk tale tells that the propthet Muhammad peace be upon him, planted it. It is mentioned that at the begginning of the last century, the sheens of the prophtet Moses season were around that tree. The spring was constrcuted in the new era.

  • Southern of Al-Nahawya school spring

    Landmark Location:
     The southern of Al-Nahwaya school.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: Southwest Dome of the Rock.

    Reason of the name: Because it is located in the south.

    Details of the shape:
    -One of the greatest springs of Al-Aqsa, for ablution, however, many cubes stone were placed for people  to sit in front of the taps.
    -It consists 30 faucets.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    One of the greatest springs of Al-Aqsa, for ablution, however, many cubes stone were placed for people  to sit in front of the taps

     

  • Burhan Al-Din Rostrum spring

    Landmark Location:
    Adjacent to the stairs of the South pillars from the west behind Burhan al-Din pulpit south of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock:
     Southern of Qubbat Al-Sakhra “ Dome of the rock “.

    Landmark History:
     At the end of 1418 AH 1998 AD

    Reason of the name:
     Relative to its location behind Burhan al-Din rostrum. 

    Builder Name:
    Reconstruction Committee.

     Details of the shape:
    -It has 24 faucets

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    It is located adjacent to the south of the pillars to the west behind the Burhan al-Din rostrum south of Al-Aqsa Mosque, south of the Dome of the Rock. It was recently established by the Committee for Reconstruction at the end of 1418 AH / 1998. It has 24 faucets.

  • Hasan Al-Dani spring

    Landmark Location: Located based on the facade of the northern of Al-Qubba Al-nahawya.

    Landmark Location relative to Dome of the rock: Southwest of the Dome of the Rock.

    Landmark History: 1137 AH 1724 AD.

    Reason of the name: Relative to its constructor. 

    Builder Name:
     Hasan Al-Dani.

    Details of the shape:
    Nothing left of the spring but some ashes on the floor, and engraving.

    An Overview of the Landmark:
    Hasan Al-Dani spring, it was constructed by Hasan Al-Dani Al-Husainy, in 1137 AH 1724 AD. In the Ottoman era, the reason behind its name relative to its constructor Hasan Al-Dani, it is located based on the facade of the northern of Al-Qubba Al-Nahawayh. Nothing left of the spring but some ashes on the floor and engraving.

2
حدث في مثل هذا اليوم